Advise for a Stanley 78 plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bingy man

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I was given an original Stanley 78 plane which I have restored as it was covered in rust paint and god knows what else , it was in the original box or at least the lower half containing all the rods etc . The blade is not square and I’m not sure if there will be enough left if I bring the blade back to square. I’ve never seen one before so I have nothing to compare it to . My asks are : A can you get replacement blade if so where from . B do you think I can save the original blade . C what angle should I set the blades at when re honing . Appreciate your feedback.

Attachments

• D3F52D03-5A4A-4624-B6DA-B6AF5FD046DB.jpeg
    D3F52D03-5A4A-4624-B6DA-B6AF5FD046DB.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 199FDC50-C1E2-45DB-8A9E-49C50E76CFD9.jpeg
    199FDC50-C1E2-45DB-8A9E-49C50E76CFD9.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 3F6DF3C8-2B89-4B28-ACC3-E37D2D838F08.jpeg
    3F6DF3C8-2B89-4B28-ACC3-E37D2D838F08.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 23
https://www.toolnut.co.uk/products/stanley-plane-blade-78
£8.94.
25 degrees is a good starting point.
Micro bezel if you like or not of 5 degrees.
As long as the blade is held in the plane, and depth can be set, use it.
Thanks for the reply and link for the new blade I’ll go with sharpening but at that price I’ll most likely order a new one anyway as it won’t quite break the bank.

Nice resto, blades looks like it has some life in it yet, I’d try just sharpening it up and then using it before looking for a new blade
Cheers tom I’ll sharpen it as the link awac has posted shows the new blade is very close to the one I have . Will buy one as well at that price .

They are a very useful plane, you will enjoy it.
When I first got it you couldn’t tell what it was -tbh I noticed the box or what was left of it and the word Stanley was just about visible. the old lady where I was working said it was her late husbands and he would spend days in the garage woodworking. So yeh nice to get it back in use . 👍👍👍

Do you think this ( video) would apply to an original 78 - I’ve not used this plane as yet and I’ve never used one previously.
AFAIK the design hasn't changed much in 50 years (others may know differently).
Check yours with the video (Paul Sellers has one converting it to a scrub plane) and see how the two line up?

I was given an original Stanley 78 plane which I have restored as it was covered in rust paint and god knows what else , it was in the original box or at least the lower half containing all the rods etc . The blade is not square and I’m not sure if there will be enough left if I bring the blade back to square. I’ve never seen one before so I have nothing to compare it to . My asks are : A can you get replacement blade if so where from . B do you think I can save the original blade . C what angle should I set the blades at when re honing . Appreciate your feedback.

The #78 is a very common plane, so whatever you do is unlikely to incur the wrath of the Gods. As it happens, yours is not an early model - the first models did not have blade projection levers.

The blade actually looks full length. These were not that long. Use a bench grinder or diamond stone to square it. (It does not look much out of square - blades can be adjusted for square by angling them).

Sharpen the bevel at 30-32 degrees (not 25 degrees). This will give you maximum longevity.

Regards from Perth

Derek

The #78 is a very common plane, so whatever you do is unlikely to incur the wrath of the Gods. As it happens, yours is not an early model - the first models did not have blade projection levers.

The blade actually looks full length. These were not that long. Use a bench grinder or diamond stone to square it. (It does not look much out of square - blades can be adjusted for square by angling them).

Sharpen the bevel at 30-32 degrees (not 25 degrees). This will give you maximum longevity.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Thanks for your reply-I’d say it’s about 0.75 to 1 mm out of square so not to bad. I’m looking forward to using it to see how it performs-

30º
Very useful plane. You don't have to use all the add-ons all the time (fence, scriber, depth stop) and often more useful without, just as a general purpose rebate/shoulder plane.

30º
Very useful plane. You don't have to use all the add-ons all the time (fence, scriber, depth stop) and often more useful without, just as a general purpose rebate/shoulder plane.
Thanks Jacob,, I’ve got to find another project now so I can give it a go. It reminds me of a plane I used in woodwork class many years ago, it had multiple plane irons which if I recall allowed you to form multiple profiles ( pre router days ) lol 😂

Thanks Jacob,, I’ve got to find another project now so I can give it a go. It reminds me of a plane I used in woodwork class many years ago, it had multiple plane irons which if I recall allowed you to form multiple profiles ( pre router days ) lol 😂
Lot of them about! Various Stanley and Record models.
The 78 is more like a straightforward wooden rebate plane with a few extra bits

Latest posts

Back