advice..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

yesterday I was looking my brother while he was achieving the groove in some boards to glue them together to do shelves and furniture sides.
I think if the goal is that, it isn't important to achieve tongue and groove joint. I would only joint the boards cost to cost (is It said in this way?) with glue because the effort in game will not be too much.

What do you think?

Thanks.

waterhead37":zruemv82 said:
Gepetto,

It is unnecessary to use such means to edge glue boards. Glues are quite strong enough without this.

.. and when do we must use the tongue and groove method?
I think to use that when I'll build my bench top.

Gepetto,

T&G is useful when boards are not glued together - as in a floor or panelling on a wall. It prevents dirt and draughts getting between the boards.

In a glued situation, T&G or biscuits can be helpful in aligning boards if this is otherwise proving difficult but there is no real strength added. In a properly glued joint, the wood always fails before the glue line.

A longer glue -line as may be created by T&G can be helpful if you are having trouble achieving proper glue joints, because, if say you are successfully gluing 50% of the joint, then 50% of a longer glue line is more than 50% of a shorter one.

However, It is very easy to achieve a proper glue line in edge jointing in most common woods. Just plane the surfaces properly. You can rough them up with 100 grit sandpaper if you are worried bu this isn't generally necessary in this situation on a freshly planed surface.

Contaminants like sweat or dirt that can accumulate if the boards have been handled a lot or have been sitting around for a while are indeed best removed by a roughing up with 100 grit sandpaper.

.. therefore if I have understood well, a tongue and groove junction to achieve a panel for furniture, is quite time thrown away :?

Thanks a lot Waterhead...

Back