Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sed9888

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I noticed when sharpening my plane that its going rusty only surface rust but I'm thinking it needs some sort of protion

I have not heard of this T9 before Droogs. It looks interesting, is it a product you use and if so what form do you use it in?
It's essentially solvent applied paraffin wax. It's handy if you need to get the protection into tight spaces but for easily accessible surfaces like hand plane parts then light machine oil will suffice. T9 is a dry lubricant so also suitable for mechanical motion areas which are likely to attract dust like a table saw trunnion for example; it's very popular with cyclists for this very reason.

as shed9 has said I use it on my machinery bits and my bike. esp if I know they will sit around without being used much for a while. Most of my kit has had a spray of it where there are mechanical parts exposed to the air and not painted. Once i am going to use a bit of kit that has been left a while, I give the table of each machine a clean with some 0000 wire wool and a degreaser and then give the table and fence a wipe over with Wurth's Wood Slide. Excellent stuff as a lube that does not react with any finish .

I also use the T9 on my planes and the irons in my woodies. on my chisels and other iron hand tools that are sitting around for a time and not in use. I got down to the wksp last month for the first time since being put under house arrest last feb, due to illness and that which can't be named. I gave everything a T9 coat last year and there is not one spec of new rust on any of my kit apart from the frame of my compressor where paint had been chipped off. That is pretty good to me as my wksp is only ~50 yds from the sea in a ex fishing net drying shed. a fairly moisture rich environment

hth

Linseed oil is good. Just the occasional wipe over with an oily rag. It hardens to a fairly durable finish but rubs off the friction surfaces and will need another wipe every now and then

Linseed oil is good. Just the occasional wipe over with an oily rag. It hardens to a fairly durable finish but rubs off the friction surfaces and will need another wipe every now and then

for metal planes?

@Garno you are aware that stuff has silicon in it and if you are using it in the wksp where you paint/finish wood things it will give you big problems as it hangs around in the air for ages and causes all sorts of problems as it settles on your nice bit of wood and screws it all up

@Garno you are aware that stuff has silicon in it and if you are using it in the wksp where you paint/finish wood things it will give you big problems as it hangs around in the air for ages and causes all sorts of problems as it settles on your nice bit of wood and screws it all up

Thanks Droogs I did not know that, looks like I will also be looking for an alternative :(

Synthetic motor oil for me as it doesn't smell, unlike some types of unknown motor oil the auld buck uses for vices and garden tools.
The Mobile 1 might be much too fancy, as it was about 20 quid for the bottle!
I read of others using the stuff in passing comments, so wasn't exactly a recommendation.
I might try some cheaper synthetic 5w30 when this runs out, lasts a long time so that will be a while away.
3 in 1 really stinks to my nostrils, and I can't get the smell off my hands.

Here is my rag in a leather tub/can made from an old powerlifting belt.
Might not be as good as a metal can for holding onto the oil, as I think I tried to fill it before. (it wasn't intended for the job, but I like it.)

I use the liquid bottle for an applicator to dab onto the cotton and it does a good job.
Been a while since my sharpening station has got some use.
(BTW I don't use the stuff for sharpening)

Oil.JPG

Last edited:
T9 was hard to find over here, but there's a candian equivalent called ACF-50. Just in case it's easier to source.
+1 for the ACF50 I use it on my old Defender and on my tools, it's great stuff and definitely keeps rust at bay; it also stops rust. I used it on the new bandsaw table followed by machine wax and it's spotless. It is expensive mind you but does go along way.
Scroll down past the advert Amazon.co.uk: acf 50

Latest posts

Back