Advice wanted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portANY

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to sell the item pictured below,
i presume its some form of wet sharpening ,finishing stone but would like someone to give me a few pointers as to what it does , there is a motor on it but it doesnt spin very fast ,

i will be looking to sell this , any advice would be helpful.

cheers Lee

Attachments

• wheel.JPG
    wheel.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 273
  • wheel2.JPG
    wheel2.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 273
It's a "wet-wheel" grindstone.
I'd put it on ebay IIWY. Fairly sought after, should sell well. Get some better snaps, the right way up!
What diameter and width the wheel?

Jacob":ovg3vfp0 said:
It's a "wet-wheel" grindstone.
I'd put it on ebay IIWY. Fairly sought after, should sell well. Get some better snaps, the right way up!
What diameter and width the wheel?

Thanks Jacob ,

i have rotated pictures , will get measurements later if anyone is interested in making an offer for it , please do so

Lee

What Jacob said.................+1

It is intended to spin slowly Lee otherwise water would go all over the shop instead of staying on the wheel.
It looks home made? Do you have any history on it?
Does the container on top drip feed water on to the wheel?

Interesting bit of kit though I've no idea what it's worth.

Bob

Lons":174xc0zo said:
What Jacob said.................+1

It is intended to spin slowly Lee otherwise water would go all over the shop instead of staying on the wheel.
It looks home made? Do you have any history on it?
Does the container on top drip feed water on to the wheel?

Interesting bit of kit though I've no idea what it's worth.

Bob

It was my old mans who has passed away , i am not into woodturning etc and havent a clue as to what it was intented directly for obv for sharpenin his woodturning chisels , however i think it drip feeds i will test it there is a tap on it so i presume the flow can be altered slightly ,the stand is def homemade and the motore is atached to this but as for the wheel and mechanism i am unsure . i have no history on it or were it came from just know it had alot of dust on it and id like to clear it to a good home for a price its worth

Cheers Lee

portANY":185ewpfn said:
It was my old mans who has passed away , i am not into woodturning etc and havent a clue as to what it was intented directly for obv for sharpenin his woodturning chisels , however i think it drip feeds i will test it there is a tap on it so i presume the flow can be altered slightly ,the stand is def homemade and the motore is atached to this but as for the wheel and mechanism i am unsure . i have no history on it or were it came from just know it had alot of dust on it and id like to clear it to a good home for a price its worth Cheers Lee

I love to see home made solutions to problems. I bet your dad got great satisfaction making it and even more in its use =D>

Good luck in selling it Lee, it will prove very useful to someone (not me sadly as I have a Tormek otherwise I might have been tempted.)

cheers

Bob

I think you'll find machines like this were found a lot on farms where they were used to sharpen Scythes, axes and such like.

Andy

After talking to the old girl she thinks it was made by a friend of dads who was a metalworker have tried it out this evening the tap will regulate from a drip to a small flow the wheel is 1,1/2 inch x 12 inch just wondering how much to list it for .

We had a hand-operated version at school. That was drip-fed.
One of the Woodwork teachers hooked it up to a pulley on the Myford lathe. That upset the Head of the Department, as turning that wheel was a punishment for miscreants! I haven't got room for it, or I'd make you an offer.

Happy Days! :D

Although it's an interesting thing, and potentially useful to some, you may find selling on eBay is disappointing. I've looked at auctions for that sort of thing, out of curiosity, and they don't often get many bids. The mistake most people make is to think 'it's big and heavy, so I'll list it as collection only' - and so they put off everyone who is not within a 20 mile radius.

If I were you I would do some research with carriers (who advertise on eBay) so that you can offer it with a reasonable carriage charge of about £20. (If it costs more than that, subsidise it out of the starting price.) Obviously, allow free pickup as well.

Start it fairly low - say £15. List it in Collectables / tools / Carpentry and woodworking and also in Business / Office and industrial / hand tools. Good luck!

Btw, not spinning fast is good - these big grindstones were designed to be turned by hand, really quite slowly. Fast would be dangerous.

AndyT":26vuws9f said:
Btw, not spinning fast is good - these big grindstones were designed to be turned by hand, really quite slowly. Fast would be dangerous.

Agreed Andy,

Like the one in the picture above, the driving pulley on the lathe, was much smaller than the one on the stone.

:)

AndyT":2uc89zan said:
Although it's an interesting thing, and potentially useful to some, you may find selling on eBay is disappointing. I've looked at auctions for that sort of thing, out of curiosity, and they don't often get many bids. The mistake most people make is to think 'it's big and heavy, so I'll list it as collection only' - and so they put off everyone who is not within a 20 mile radius.

If I were you I would do some research with carriers (who advertise on eBay) so that you can offer it with a reasonable carriage charge of about £20. (If it costs more than that, subsidise it out of the starting price.) Obviously, allow free pickup as well.

Start it fairly low - say £15. List it in Collectables / tools / Carpentry and woodworking and also in Business / Office and industrial / hand tools. Good luck!

Thanks guys your input is great , I am
Clued up on alot of tools but woodturning stuff is not my forte ,I'm not even bothered about eBay not into a bidding war just want it to go to a good home and be used if no one wants to pay round the 25 quid
Mark I will prob keep hold of it will surely come in , the item
Is now listed on the for sale forum ,

Thanks again
Lee

The wheels were made of a lump of sandstone, spinning them rapidly could well cause it to break up.

Roy.

Back