ADVICE wanted with these please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portANY

Established Member
Reaction score
below are a few items i could do with knowing what they are used for and are they used much these days , i know the planes are some for of moulding plane presume routers have taken over from these its more so the other few things on the pics id like to know what they are
There all from my old mans workshop and hes sadly not around to ask anymore :cry:
Cheers Lee
what is this.JPG

Attachments

• sculpting plane.JPG
    sculpting plane.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 230
  • plane record.JPG
    plane record.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 230
  • what is this.JPG
    what is this.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 253
  • hand tools.JPG
    hand tools.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 230
The first pic is a Router, also known as an 'old woman's' tooth.
The second pic is of Spokeshaves.
The third one is a Plough Plane.
The last are Moulding planes.
The Router is for full Neandertals only, the Spokeshaves are still in common use, the Plough Plane perhaps less so
The Moulding Planes are still very useful, an electric Router can only produce certain shapes, others it cannot, undercuts for example.

Roy.

Thanks Digit , i have listed the moulding planes and they appear to have sold , unsure what to do over the spokeshaves as they dont seem in demand , as for the old womans tooth think that will get slung as again seems more hassle to arrange selling , would be interested in selling the plough plane and also have a rebate plane , just want them all to go to good homes , thanks again

Lee

Lee ,the old womans tooth (router) is the one I meant , not the electric one :wink:
Whats the name , is it Stanley or Siegley?

Cheers
Andy

portANY":2nztjm1q said:
Thanks Digit , i have listed the moulding planes and they appear to have sold , unsure what to do over the spokeshaves as they dont seem in demand , as for the old womans tooth think that will get slung as again seems more hassle to arrange selling , would be interested in selling the plough plane and also have a rebate plane , just want them all to go to good homes , thanks again

Lee

Ah what was I saying about collecting old tools. You have a buyer if the price is right already for them spokes!! :wink:

toolsntat":16g4f9so said:
Lee ,the old womans tooth (router) is the one I meant , not the electric one :wink:
Whats the name , is it Stanley or Siegley?

:oops: STANLEY (no 71) made in usa

Cheers
Andy

The hand router is a brilliant tool and very useful. It's hard to tell from your picture what make it is and what condition it is in, but assuming it's usable and you take some clearer pictures it should fetch at least £30 on eBay.
The plough looks like a Record 044 - one of their more basic models - but if you have a set of blades for it, it should fetch £15- 30.

i also have 5 litres of unopened rustins plastic coating with hardener still with the prices on the containers :eek: does it have a use by date on it as i cant see one but its looking at being 9 years old it is all UNOPENED and still in liquid form , would it still be useable

cheers Lee

it is a chemical reaction, so if sealed should be ok. its about £20 a litre on axminster, for reference

marcros":3t0eul8u said:
it is a chemical reaction, so if sealed should be ok. its about £20 a litre on axminster, for reference
Thats what i thought , the prices must have gone up over time as the litre price is £13.50 and the 4 litre one is £37.50 , ill be looking to sell them obv not for the prices just mentioned will i be ok to post this on the forsale forum ?

Lee

its woodwork related, so will be fine, providing the other rules are adhered to. You already have location in your profile which is a common breach

portANY":k9ogcdom said:
i also have 5 litres of unopened rustins plastic coating with hardener still with the prices on the containers :eek: does it have a use by date on it as i cant see one but its looking at being 9 years old it is all UNOPENED and still in liquid form , would it still be useable

cheers Lee

how much for the plastic coating lee?

Old womans tooths - I have only ever heard them reffered to as grannies tooths. (by the by)
I've used way out date plastic before and it may be worth getting fresh hardener- I suspect the hardener ages quicker than the plastic.
(I mean several years out of date)

Digit":34cjv7u1 said:
The first pic is a Router, also known as an 'old woman's' tooth.

The Router is for full Neandertals only....

Roy.

Oh I don't know Roy. If I make a miscalculation with a router or a table-saw, and I make a housing slightly to shallow, the Router plane always comes in useful for making those fine corrections, ensuring that the depth is constant; like when a piece of sheet material is bowed a little, but you didn't notice. Anyhow, I still use mine, especially for under-cutting sloped housing sides! :mrgreen:

Yes they do have their uses John, it's rather a case of I just don't get on with them.

Roy.

Back