Advice sought please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluekingfisher

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst not technically a "woody" question it relates to a WW tool, namely a 9" Skilsaw.

Last summer whilst involved in an outdoor project I was trimming 2x6 pine studs. Anyway, I inserted the saw too quickly into the timber and had a kickback, whislt I suffered no harm (it certainly woke me up right away though) the saw seems to have taken a bashing.

The problem is, there is a grating/rumbling sound now coming from the saw when it's running. It's not the blade catching because I took it off as part of the initial checks. The arbour spindle revolves with no slop or side play. The saw starts and performs as it did previously, just has this rumbling noise. Before I take it to the repair shop has anyone any idea of what I should check next. (on the saw, not the MO :roll: ) I thought it could be the bearing but as mentioned there is no slop in it. Could it be motor brushes??

Any info, much appreciated.

David

I reckon the gearbox is damaged. One of the the gears has thrown a tooth.
If is the output gear, you might get a spare at a sensible price but if it the one on the armature, that will be very expensive.

Just turn up the radio and be prepared to scrap it when the next tooth goes ping.

Bob

Thanks gents for the info. I guess I have nothing to lose by stripping it down, shame, as it was a really good saw and had virtually nil usage.

Thanks

David

Back