Advice sought on leaking shower screen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if anyone can assist with this. I have two bathrooms with showers over the baths, and both shower screens leak at the hinge. I followed the installation instructions and silicon sealed the outside only, but water runs down the screens and dribbles out under the hinges. The hinge 'cut outs' are fitted the correct way round, i.e. lower edge facing
bath, higher edge facing the room, but the higher edge doesn't seem high enough to retain the water.
Anyone had this problem, or, more precisely, anyone solved this problem?

K

I don't want to sound glib, but that's why we decided to stick with a curtain.
Every hinged screen I've seen has looked too dependent on exact fitting to a bath edge which was designed separately with no thought about fitting a screen to it. After a while they look awful, as scum and scale build up, often with accompanying layers of silicone.
Curtains are effective and easy to use.

Thanks Sunnybob, but the problem I have is at the hinge of the door, not between screen and bath. I think I may just have to seal the hinge so it stays fixed, unless someone has a better idea.

K

If its only in one place, silicone over it. The silicone will flex to allow some movement on the hinge.
But I have stayed in a lot of hotel rooms with those screens, and never seen one that keeps the floor dry.

Seems like a common problem then. I think I will seal it so the screen doesn't move. The shower is in a guest bathroom so will have minimal use anyway, and guests will have enough room to climb into the bath without opening the screen. The only issue then will be cleaning the screen, will have to be done whilst standing in the bath. Oh well, better by far than stains on the ceiling below.

K

Back