advice sort on another form of box art.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
After seeing the box displayed by Mowtownmartin this week of the pyrography picture created on the box lid.

Does anyone have any advice or links available on another method of creating pictures on wooden boxes which does not involve pyro.

Thinking along the lines of a monochrome staining technique.

I will post a painted picture shortly and ask how it could be done.

marquetry maybe?

I dont think that you would get crisp lines through staining/painting straight onto the box. It might be worth marking out the main colour blocks with a deep stanley knife cut- I wonder whether that might stop the bleeding to a degree. The alternative is to embrace the bleed, along the lines of http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... vns&itbs=1

OK, what I have got in mind is this painting I did last week, its a very simple seascape and I have greatly manipulated it using a photoshop type program (corel paint shop pro)

So is there a way to stain a simple sketch as such, I think grain could easily be accommodated with this scene.

boat manipulatedw.jpg

Attachments

• boat manipulatedw.jpg
    boat manipulatedw.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 588
seal the wood first with a clear lacquer? or something which will allow the grain to show. paint on the picture with a compatible paint and seal again.
all the best
rob

There are lots of websites showing how to transfer pictures from paper to other surfaces. If you have an ink jet printer you need to buy special transfer paper (as used for T-shirts) but this can work on wood too. (See for example this video.)

If you have a laser printer, (or photocopier) the toner is fused onto the paper by heat and can be released by heat, from a domestic iron.

So there is loads of scope! Key word in searching seems to be 'transfer'.

Thanks for all the above suggestions and advice, I never realised the world out there had so much in this line of art.

Back