Advice required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich.ca

Established Member
Reaction score
I've made four meranti casement windows frames for a customer, but one of the frames has twisted slightly. They are aprox 700 x 400 and the one thats warped, when laid flat, has lifted accross opposite corners by around 12mm. I can push it back down flat with some resistance, but don't want to rely on the double glazed unit to do this if I can help it. I reaslise its warped because it has dried out as I've had the heater on while painting them, but where they are going is very exposed to moisture - is there any possibility that it could sort it's self out when hung?

Any tips on how to encourage it back to flat before the top coat of paint is applied? (they are in primer at the mo).

The opening part is the sash.

If its an opener, I would remake it. Frustrating I know, but its less work to remake now rather than do it once painted, glazed, fitted etc.

You might be lucky and the sash will pull flat, but 12mm is quite a bit. It could be too much for an espag lock as the they lock may miss the keeps. If its a cockspur handle even less chance.

Yes, I agree. If it were the frame you could probably get that flat as you install it into the brickwork, but I can't see a DG glass unit forgiving a 12mm twist.
Not what you wanted to hear, of course.

Might be worth trying to over twist it the other way- so packing under the corners and weights or some other means of twisting it the other way. Good luck ;)
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Not what I wanted to hear, but was expecting it. This has been one of those jobs thats been a pain in the buttocks from the start. I'm tempted to put it outside for a couple of days before I finish painting it to see what the moist weather will do to it

some timbers will move hugely when exposed to extreme dry or damp so sticking them outside will give a clue as to whether they dried out too much if they do move back. That said I'd be worried about movement after fitting. ie will any of the windows get the sun? as that could start movement again and then presume the glass would crack.

Latest posts

Back