Advice Required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl59

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a customer that has used a traditional yacht and boat varnish with an eggshell finish over oak veneered plywood panels and what he describes as 'solid hardwood' which has developed milky patches :evil: :evil:

Given my basic knowledge and the information provided it would appear that the fault arises from one of the following reasons:

1. The varnish has not penetrated the wood, his guys forgot to thin the first coat 1:1 with white spirit , so the matting agent is sitting on the top of the wood in some areas.

2. The varnish was not stirred sufficiently to disperse the matting agent evenly.

3. The timber was damp, the job is the fitting out of a narrowboat.

It transpires that the timber has been given two coats of varnish over the weekend in order to meet a deadline, the finished boat needs to be on a lorry heading to its new mooring on Friday.

So to the crux of the matter, can anyone make any suggestions on how to proceed and rectify the problem encountered or is it as I suspect either the whole job, or certainly the patchy areas, will need to be stripped back to bare wood and recoated?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Karl

Hi Houtslager,

Many thanks for the reply which confirmed my thoughts on the matter.

Once again this proves that the final result is all about taking your time during preparation and following the instructions.

Cheers

Karl

(who is about to call his customer and pass on the bad news)

Back