Advice requested on digital radio/MP3

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can recommend a box that offers MP3 playback and also digital radio?

I am looking for a robust workshop solution - not an iPod type thing with earplugs but something with big buttons and a loudspeaker. I particularly like the possibility of the 30 minute pause and record that some digital radio seems to offer - so that when I turn on the router or go to the loo, or answer the phone I can come back and hear what I missed.

Sorry Chris, can't help. I don't think I've seen that combination of features in one box before. Let us know what you find.

I have heard of the combination - you have to put a flash card in - and it's the extra capacity on that which allows you to do the "pause-live-radio" function. Unfortunately, I don't know which company makes it - but I had had a discussion about them with someone in the past.

I do, however, have a digital radio - and they really are superb. Well worth the upgrade.

Adam

Adam,

Just as a matter of interest, can you receive all the regular stations on a Dab? (getting technical there....) Or just the likes of Radio 7 or something?....

Noel

Hi Noely

In Nottingham we can receive all of the normal stations plus a few others. The difference is just amazing.

I'm so pleased we have bought two, the Pure Evoke-1. it has won all sorts of awards. If you look at them don't bother with the two speaker version as the single speaker gives you all that you need. (That's what all of the reviews say)

Cheers
Neil

waterhead37":3p02353l said:
Thanks guys, I will keep looking.

Ours is an "Intempo". The only reason we choose that one is a friend worked on the DSP (digital signal processor) algorithms, which are needed to decode the digital channels into an analog output.

We get all the "normal" radio stations, and loads more - and most of the "big" players seem to have got a channel - so the likes of "Virgin" etc, actually get nationwide coverage now.

Even the smaller of our local stations has a digital channel - I was quite surprised at that.

Adam

Andy beat me to it - the Bug seems to have all the features you want, but may fail on asthetic considerations :lol:

I found it here - the site may have other options. There is also the Roberts Gemini 1 which has a flash slot, but I'm not sure if it plays back MP3. Definitely has the pause function, though, and its appearance is a bit more acceptable.

NeilCFD

dedee":331oo1de said:
How about The Bug? Andy

If I remember correctly, this didn't come out too well in the recent Which? reports...

Adam

Andy,

Thanks, it is a good starting point and with the features I want although, as you say, not too robust perhaps and definitely a little funky looking! I shall try to find something that looks as though it belongs in a dusty workshop.

Thanks Adam and Neil for your pointers too.

You need to be careful if you are planning to buy a DAB receiver in the UK and use it abroad (or even for future UK DAB broadcasts).

There are two main DAB channels available, Band III and Band L. At present Band III is the one used by the main broadcasters in the UK (although Band L is in use for some local stations and will be used by other broadcasters as there are only a lmiited number of channels in Band III). Band L is often the main band abroad. e.g. Band L is the only band used in France.

Most of the cheaper DAB radios sold in the UK are Band III only; most hi-fi DAB tuners are dual band. DAB receivers sold abroad are usually dual band.

John,

Thanks for the heads-up but I only plan to use the radio here in the UK - much as I would like to move to France after my recent holiday there!

I really do want MP3 tho' and at present it looks as if it is only the BUG that Andy suggested that has this feature. Beats me why this should be so - it seems an absolute no-brainer to me.

Chris

Look here and you'll find some more DAB/MP3. Whether they are still in production or you can find somewhere to buy them is another matter...

John,
Thanks, it does indeed seem that some of these will play MP3's - they are not exactly workshop style but I guess I could make a workshop proof enclosure for them!

Chris wrote,
Thanks, it does indeed seem that some of these will play MP3's - they are not exactly workshop style but I guess I could make a workshop proof enclosure for them!

Presumably out of English walnut with hand carved end panels and secret twisted mitred dovetails :D

John

Absolutely no help at all with your request but I was recently given a small offset satellite dish, only 2.6 metres wide so I motorized & mounted that behind my workshop, plugged it into a Humax free to air digital satellite receiver and can now listen to over 1000 free digital music channels world wide, the best coming from Germany during my coffee break....sorry, hope you find what you're looking for :wink:

Back