Advice requested for fitting handles, please!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Shark

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am thinking of buying the Axminster tool set as a present:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-st ... rod803508/

Having never made or attached tool handles before,and having looked at the photos on the web page, I have a couple of questions:

1. It looks like a hole is drilled for the shaft of the tool to fit into in the handle. Should this be an interference fit, or does the shaft get glued into the handle? If it is glued, what is the best glue to use?

2. It looks like the ferrule slides over the shaft of the tool, then fits onto a tenon on the handle. Again, is this just an interference fit ( with a trick of the trade such as attaching it when the wood is wet so that it expands when it dries?(don't know if that works, just trying to explain!!)) or is it fixed in place, and if so, how?

Many thanks in advance for any replies,

Malc :D

Hi Malc

the handle and ferrule should be a snug fit but they are then also backed up by glue- i would use two part epoxy- scratch up the tang by holding it in a vice/pliers and twisting it around to create a key for the glue.

and malc wood shrinks when it dries!!! you might be thinking of an old trick where the top of hammer would come loose and as a quick fix they'd leave it in a bucket of water overnight to expand the wood and tighten it up.

As George says and I would suggest making the holes for the tangs deeper than the length of the tank to allow room for the excess epoxy.
I'd also use slow setting epoxy, not the rapid (5min) stuff.
regards, beejay

On all the handles I've made and fitted, I have just made both the tool steel and the ferrule an interference fit and press fitted, never had one move or work loose to date.

When you are turning the handle on the lathe if you turn the ferrule collar down for a tight fit of the ferrule you can keep trying it for fit by having the ferrule on a long centre.
Have a short lead in to help align the ferrule.
Use the tailstock and suitable scrap to press the ferrule on and then trim off the lead in that protrudes beyond the ferule.

Many thanks for the useful replies, guys, I shall have a go at a set of these now!

cornucopia":3uyjjumn said:
and malc wood shrinks when it dries!!! you might be thinking of an old trick where the top of hammer would come loose and as a quick fix they'd leave it in a bucket of water overnight to expand the wood and tighten it up.

George, you are indeed correct, that is exactly the example I was thinking of. When I wrote the post, I was well in to a long shift, one which had got off to a bad start when the boss put me in a room full of shovels and told me to take my pick!! :lol: :wink:

I do it as Chas has said, no need for glue unless you mess it up, but won't hurt either I guess.

Only further piece of advice is to drill the hole for the tang in the blank (on a pillar drill or on the lathe) first, then mount the drilled blank with the tail centre in the hole, this helps ensure the hole is parallel and centred to the handle, otherwise your tool blade can end up wonky to the handle if you try and do it afterwards !

Cheers, Paul :D

I use an interference fit if I have the proper size drill and glue if the fit isn't tight enough. One thing, the ferrule should be installed on the handle before the tool shank is inserted into the hole to prevent splitting the handle when the tool is forced home.

Good Luck!
Bob

bobham":3p1f85j4 said:
I use an interference fit if I have the proper size drill and glue if the fit isn't tight enough. One thing, the ferrule should be installed on the handle before the tool shank is inserted into the hole to prevent splitting the handle when the tool is forced home.

Good Luck!
Bob

Sorry Bob but I had to laugh when I checked out the tools Malc had in mind - he'd have a problem putting the ferrule on after, particularly the trowels :lol:

Mark

They appear to have lugs on the tangs, which suggests to me they're designed to be glued. You'll struggle to get a secure interference fit unless you grind the lugs off, I'd have thought. Given they're garden tools and the changes in humidity they'll likely suffer, I'd glue 'em anyway - particularly the ferrules. Seen too many commercially-handled tools like that with the ferrule jingling loose on the shaft at every dig.

Cheers, Alf

Oops! I didn't follow the link and just assumed it was lathe tools. :oops: From what he said in the first post I was afraid he meant to put them on after:
"It looks like the ferrule slides over the shaft of the tool, then fits onto a tenon on the handle. "

Bob

bobham":15nu3neg said:
From what he said in the first post I was afraid he meant to put them on after:
"It looks like the ferrule slides over the shaft of the tool, then fits onto a tenon on the handle. "

Bob

Bob, you are absolutely right, I had assumed you fitted the shaft into the handle, then slipped the ferrule on afterwards.

Good job I asked the questions then!! :wink:

Thanks to one and all for your replies,

Just a quick update, I bought the set yesterday and the ferrules have a small screw supplied to attach to the handle.

Back