Advice requested; black stain on work-top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnbs

Established Member
Reaction score
- A friend is looking after a neighbours' cat (':)')
- she washed a couple of empty cat-food tins and left them on the very very expensive (American walnut?) oiled kitchen work-top.

- next day there were two black circles....... sounds like a tannin-attack? (Is walnut tannic?) (':(')

She has 12 days to try to rectify matters. Does anyone happen to have experience with something similar?

Many thanks

John

PS much as I love wood I think you'd have to be mad to use timber for working kitchen tops.

johnbs":1g3rzk80 said:
She has 12 days to try to rectify matters.

If I was your friend's neighbour and it was my worktop, I'd rather she did nothing and waited until I returned home. She could easily make matters 10 times worse by trying to rectify matters and making the problem worse than it already is.

Accidents happen - it's no big deal. If the owners of the worktop take a different view, at least she won't have to look after their cat again...... :)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Had it happen several times on mine, usually visitors. Its quite easy to sand out with a elecy sander, the stain hardly penetrates the walnut. Then several coats of oil, good as new.

That said I'm with Paul, I'd like them to leave the damage and I'll sort it.

Mark

Blame the cat, blinkin things climb all over anyway
Just noticed the dates,which meant the friends would have returned yesterday, so what happened?

Latest posts

Back