Advice re buying an Axminster AT254LTS vs AT254SB table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helter7

Reaction score
Hello

My first post, only just found the forum. Hope you kind folks can offer a little guidance.

I'm a fairly experienced woodworker, have had a dedicated workshop for many years which has seen a lot of use, albeit hobby.
The workshop has a dewalt table saw, sliding mitre saw, kity bandsaw, router table, axminster jointer, axminster planer thicknesser, dust extraction etc.

The time has come to upgrade my very trusty Dewalt DW745 which has worked like an absolute dream. I will be keeping the Dewalt, for portability.

I'm very interested in the AT254LTS and the AT254SB or AT315SB.
My price ceiling is £1800 incl vat.

My requirement is -
  • cabinet or hybrid saw, with a cast iron top
  • cabinet mounted trunnions and saw, to avoid any future warp of the top
  • high quality fence, with accurate adjustment
  • compatibility with third party fences (future proofing)
  • good dust extraction
  • side table extensions as an option
  • sliding extension as an option
  • good spare parts availability

Albeit a contentious subject, but I'm extremely drawn to the AT254LTS due to it having a dado compatable arbour.
I'm very comfortable with using table saws, and use my current saw both with and without the guard (for when the sled is in use combined with a shorterned riving knife). If I go for the AT254LTS, I'd also get the recommended S-12 crown guard, which looks awesome.
That said, I don't want to go with that table, if everything else steers towards the other table, for overall quality.

I'm believe that both of these saws are made by / labelled as various different saws, from the likes of Delta, SIP, Scheppach.

Sorry for the very long post, but can anybody give me any steers on benefits or pitfalls, or even a comparison, of the above saws ... and also whether a different brand offers better options / value, such as SIP etc.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Thank you muchly.

Michael

DBT85":1geb3a0z said:
Does that price range not bring you into Fusion 2 territory too?

Oh my, that's a mighty fine looking piece of kit :shock:
I'll definitely be adding that into the mix, and doing some research.

Do you know if the UK version has a dado compatable arbor?
I notice the one in the video does, but a footnote on the video mentions the USA version of the saw is shown in the footage and some specs are different. Couldn't see any mention on the website specs or instructions.

Thank you for the heads up!

Helter7":v64tsjxn said:
DBT85":v64tsjxn said:
Does that price range not bring you into Fusion 2 territory too?

Oh my, that's a mighty fine looking piece of kit :shock:
I'll definitely be adding that into the mix, and doing some research.

Do you know if the UK version has a dado compatable arbor?
I notice the one in the video does, but a footnote on the video mentions the USA version of the saw is shown in the footage and some specs are different. Couldn't see any mention on the website specs or instructions.

Thank you for the heads up!
The man that sells them posts on here so he might pop along.

I believe it's Nick Laguna UK so you could always drop a pm. Always seems willing to answer and help.

Brilliant.
Just looking at the Fusion 3 as well, with the bigger motor etc, very nice. Over budget but very nice.
Thank you for your help.

DBT85":18jsq65v said:
Yeah the problem is its not THAT much more if you're already looking at the 2!

Very true, best find some more pennies :wink:

I found a previous post from Nick, that mentioned they have the longer arbor (whilst not CE certified for Dado), so that's good news.

It's looking like the Laguna ticks all the boxes and more.

Hi
I went for a Laguna Fusion 3.
Gorgeous machine, went to view one at Laguna, and super impressed with it, so got my order in (delivery August).
As it happens, I then popped into Axminster afterwards to grab some other things, and took a look at the AT254 etc whilst there.
The Axminster offerings we’re not on the same level in terms of build quality, so I’m super happy I went with Laguna.
More expensive admittedly, but I think worth that bit extra. The fence on the Fusion was significantly nicer than on the Axminster models.
I’m not anti Axminster in any way though, I’ve got their sander, jointer, planer .... and very happy with them.
Ive ordered the Axminster (Harvey S12) dust hood to go with it.
Hope this helps.
Michael

Back