advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spasm

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’ve been making pens lately and up until yesterday I was very happy with the results, I’ve made some out of exotic woods and I’m still happy with them however the pens I’ve made out of ash in particular have let me down a bit I finished them by giving them sanded to a 1000g then added chestnut finishing natural finishing oil once dried polished with kitchen paper the wood is very smooth to the touch I then apply a coat of Hut Cristal coat, one coat is usually enough. The surface of the pen is very smooth. However after a couple of weeks the ash pens surface is unacceptable I think the grain is lifting, I’m thinking I should use a sanding sealer first would this stop the problem I’m having?

This brings me to my next question how are you supposed to use sanding sealer should I put it on with a cloth then lightly sand once dry or put it on with a fine grade paper something like a 1000g?

Look forward to some advice

rob

it sounds like the ash isnt quite dry and that is causing the surface texture after a couple of weeks- but then again you are putting shellac on top of oil which isnt the best combination- try skipping the oil and just use shellac- or better still use CA and BLO

I dont use SS anymore but when i did I put it on with either a cloth or brush then cut it back once dry.

Ash is a devil to judge regarding dryness and stability in small sections, especially air dried, and you can't get much smaller section than that left on a pen blank.
As George says don't use an oil under any finish that is dependant upon bonding to the base surface.

If you use sanding sealer, cellulose or shellac, wipe or brush on, wipe off surplus and try burnishing it with a piece of cloth as it dries/hardens keeping cloth moving to reduce formation of steaks. If you catch it right you will end up with a high gloss finish just from the sealer.
A smear of microcrystalline wax and a quick buff should be all that is needed.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the input, I didn’t know using an oil base finish before a shellac finish wasn’t a good mix I do now, I am trying to stay away from the CA and BLO finish though I’ve found the finish good I think it might scuff scratch with regular use.

Today I put a off cut of ash on the lathe gave a rough shape of the lower end of a pen blank, sealed it with sanding sealer shellac based let it dry then lightly cut back with a 1000g and gave a top coat of hut crystal coat, I’ll put it to one side for a week o so and see if it keeps it’s smooth finish.

Once again thanks for the comments.

Back