advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BTR

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi lads and ladies i could do with a bit off help i am looking to upgrade my scms i have been looking at three models all priced roughly around the same they are the DeWalt 718xps the Hitachi c12rsh and the Bosch gcm12 sd pro i am going to be useing it for mainly cabinet making and occasional site work i am very inclined to go for the bosch with the 3 years warranty which is extendable to 5 which i have been told by a axminster rep today and i have to say it looks and feels a awsome saw.
Looked hard at the festool ks 120 but imo can't justify such a high price tag of just over a grand for a scms and for some reason i like the feel of the dewalt and espically the bosch any advice and help appreciated thanks

You might want to wait for the new bosch due soon that has a novel mechanism needing far less space behind the cutting position.
It is out in the US where confusingly it has the same part no as the current UK older style model.
A bit of deft googling should find it.

Bob

If its for cabinet work (smaller items) why the expensive kit??
Have you not seen the JET JSMS-10L I know its cheap but still acurate and built for purpose. Comes with Lasor site and very good reach.
Might be an option to concider.

Hi Bob i have seen that saw in one off your previous posts don't think it is for a while yet spoke to a local bosch agent and they did not know about it ??? cant you import it from the states i googled it and amazon.com doing it for $778 but dont know the postage etc but have to say it looks like a real piece of engineering.
Owen i need this size saw because i also do the odd fencing job and need the size off cut for fence posts etc mate

Nothing to stop you importing it from US. There will be import duty and VAT on top. Don't forget it will be 110v so you will need a transformer but maybe you already have one or can get one off the bay.

Bob

Thanks Bob any pointers on where to buy from states i will check out the import duty on the saw and see what it comes to

Best route I've used is getting friends or maybe forum members to buy for you in the US and then ship it over.
Customs duty is not too bad but the vat is applied on the declared value of the item plus carriage charges plus a fee for the UK carrier for acting as HMRC tax collectors.
Beware - if the declared value is artificially low then any carriage insurance becomes inadequate.

You might want to contact Bosch power tools in UK (Uxbridge - I think) to see if they know anything about a date for UK release. I can't imagine it will not come to Europe sometime soon.
I have a hankering after one for the elegant mechanism, but as a hobbyist I can't really justify it and I have a RAS currently awaiting renovation.

Bob

Thanks for the help Bob i think i will speak to bosch and see what they say

Bosch UK power tools are in Denham, I have found them quite helpful.
Beware with respect to importing equipment from outside the EU for use in a business venture (if you are) as you then will become liable for ensuring the product safety and compliance with ALL UK legislation.

I recently bought the 10" version of the DW and am happy with it. The shaddow light works very well but there is quite a bit that sticks out the back so you would need a deep bench if using it in the workshop. Mine will mostly be used on site so I also got teh DW stand to go with it.

The New Makita saws have a more compact design with two sets of bars, one in the usual position and one in the base thus halving the length, comes in 10" & 12"

J

I've been told by Bosch in Norway that the new saw will be in any day now, so it shouldn't be too long now before it's available in the UK as well. I am holding off on the Kapex to have a long good look at this before buying a new scms. Another option might be the new Metabo saws?

I used to own a Bosch GCM 12 SD (the original one, with bars sticking out the back) but I didn't really like it much. Some of the features were good (being able to tilt the blade and make adjustments from the front of the saw) but, I found it to be inaccurate. Also, it was inconsistent with its inaccuracy. With the blade extended fully, you could easily 'flex' it a good 2-3mm both left and right. Plenty of power, though.

I replaced this with a Makita LS1013 and, although the bars still stick out the back, it's been absolutely superb. Rock sold and very reliable. No idea what their new saws are like but, I'm in no need to upgrade, at the moment. ;-)

Metabo's new saws are certainly worth a look for the 'revolutionary' new dust extraction features. Yes, they still have the rails issue but, it looks as though the extraction unit would consume a fair amount of space behind the saw without them, anyway. They also do a quiet, induction-motored version of their new 10in saw.

OPJ":2z72afxo said:
I found it to be inaccurate. Also, it was inconsistent with its inaccuracy. With the blade extended fully, you could easily 'flex' it a good 2-3mm both left and right.

Exactly the same with my 10" Axminster. And it has flex on the bevel as well. It only has 1 slide bar, coming out of the base. I suspect that twin slide bars at the top of the machine would give far greater accuracy and consistency. Can anybody confirm this?

Roy

Thanks for the advice lads i ended up getting the bosch and i have to say i am very impressed with it so far and the 3 year warranty is a big plus done a few cuts with it today and i have to say very impressed with it perfect mitres every cut and very positive locking points for the various angles.

Hi Bob i emailed bosch direct twice and no reply been 10 days so went to my local bosch agent dealer spoke to him and he says it could be here later on in the year maybe late july but no definate date yet so i got a good deal on the current model and bought that and i have to say apart from the space factor which i have solved to some extent by building a mobile cabinet for the saw i have to say it is awsome power and accuracy wise.

Back