advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sed9888

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hoping you are all safe, i am looking for a decent set square i would like a wooden handle one traditional like, i have others so was looking for one about 6" or a pair

If the wooden handled one isnt essential, there was a link to a starrett one on the deals forum the other day. A fiver or so on Amazon. Performance wise it is all that you will ever need.

As for a wooden handled one, I don't know but would suggest looking at Peter section toolshop. Good quality tools and Peter supports the forum.

They are pretty basic and not much to chose if they are accurate. But if you are doing a lot of marking up - which can be a days or more on a big project, there's one design which has a significant advantage: it's the ones with a sufficiently wide blade such that the centre of gravity is in the blade, and you can leave it sitting on a workpiece and it doesn't flip up and fall off. No use asking a dealer he won't know what you are talking about, you'd have to go and try them out.

If the wooden handled one isnt essential, there was a link to a starrett one on the deals forum the other day. A fiver or so on Amazon. Performance wise it is all that you will ever need.

As for a wooden handled one, I don't know but would suggest looking at Peter section toolshop. Good quality tools and Peter supports the forum.
Thank you for finding the time, i have looked for peters tools but couldn't find them do you have a link i could use please

Last edited:
Marples still make wood handled squares. Try Google.
That said I would want to test any square hands on before buying because if it aint square then what's the point. They can be corrected with a file and I would expect to have to on an old one but buying new then check it's good to go.
Regards
John

This is one of those tools that needs to be spot on with accuracy. You will use it for setting up machines through to marking where things need to be correct. Buy new and quality ones. My advise is go for a Moore and Wright or Starret. Both of these are made to a high-end engineering standard.
Cromwell tools is an excellent source for these type of tools and a competitive price.

Agree on accuracy. I have one that is 'not quite' 90 degrees which even at my diy-bodger standard of work is a liability. It lives in the garden shed and is good enough for marking up fence posts, stakes and suchlike.

Latest posts

Back