Advice Please- problems with Rust-oleum Chalk Paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlacidCasual

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I’ve been building kitchen cabinets in advance of doing the kitchen and the wife has settled on Rust-oleum Chalk Paint. I’ve built the first 2 painted then then sealed with 3 coats of Polyvine Hard Furniture Varnish (satin). And whilst they are not perfect I was pretty happy with them and imagined I could be neater second time round.

So the first 2 are ply construction, sanded to 240grit. Under coated with a Johnson’s aluminium based grey hardwood primer/undercoat. Also sanded to 240grit. Then 2 coats of chalk paint applied by sponge roller. For the flat surface I eventually wet sanded 320grit and applied a final coat with a sponge brush. So there are a few marks near the corners where I couldn’t correct some of the roller streaks by sanding. But these are going to be the least visible cabinets so rather than chase my tail I accepted the finish and varnished. 2 coats with a brush and third coat on flat with a sponge brush.

I know that all sounds faffy but I was using these first two to learn what worked best, or so I thought.

Ok so on to the next 2 one of which is an open fronted cabinet so very visible.

Same surface prep and undercoat. But I decided to apply one sponge rollered coat then sand lightly the 2 sponge brush coats wet sanding between coats. But these have been a disaster. I was getting really bad brush marks from a fresh can of well stirred paint. I tried watering it down which has reduced the brush marks but I’m still getting them and it feels like I’m wet sanding off everything I put on. Now I’m also getting bubbles forming as I brush. It’s pretty warm maybe 28 or 30 in workshop for latest problem but hasn’t always been that hot and still had terrible brush marks.

I’m about to go to a velour short hair roller but could really do with some advice.

Edit, the sponge brushes are Chestnut Jenny brushes from Axminster

I haven’t contacted Rust-oleum yet. I may do if problems persist.

Tried again today, temps a lot lower and paint behaved a bit better, I went for thinner coats, still some brush strokes but far less problematic.

Back