Advice please on a 125mm orbital sander (corded)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

againstthegrain

Established Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year, by the way...
I have a Silverline Random Orbital Sander which all but stops under the weight of the machine alone - it is the worst power tool in my workshop!
So I would like to replace it with something better. Since I have 125mm discs etc, I'd like to stick to 5in. I am hoping that a good ROS will do for most sanding tasks so I don't have to buy others.
I am not a heavy user so I don't want to spend hundreds, but nor do I want to make the same mistake or buying something rubbish! I have been looking at both the Metabo 3125 and the Makita BO5031 but also see there's an Erbauer ERO400 which some have recommended. (I have an Erbauer brushless combi drill which has been the best I have ever owned - but I stress I am not a demanding professional).
Thanks in advance for ideas and advice...

Last edited:
I just got the Sealey version of the orange Chinese one that @petermillard has, he also now has the Sealey reviewed on his Youtube channel and it's pretty decent and I can't tell the difference apart from being a little bit heavier in the hand to the Mirka Deros I have access to using. Gives the same sort of quality to my eye when using Abranet and costs about a third the price

The abranet makes an average run of the mill ROS into a decent tool just depends if you can keep up with cost of the abranet.
Out of your 3 options I'd go makita IMHO.

I just got the Sealey version of the orange Chinese one that @petermillard has, he also now has the Sealey reviewed on his Youtube channel and it's pretty decent and I can't tell the difference apart from being a little bit heavier in the hand to the Mirka Deros I have access to using. Gives the same sort of quality to my eye when using Abranet and costs about a third the price
Link???

I'd push your budget a bit and go for the metabo sxe450 unless the lighter weight is important to you.
The metabo is a 6 inch, but switches between a 5mm orbit which aggressive for rough sanding and 2.5mm for finish sanding. Until I traded up, I always found myself frustrated by underpowered sanders. The 450 has been around a long time and has many good reviews. It feels very solid and sits well on flat boards.

I have the Metabo SXE 450 Duo and over the years it has been a great sander and still works fine except the duo button doesn't work, I suspect it is repairable but I bought a Metabo SXE 150-5.0 BL (Green Mirka) instead. I'm looking for £50 plus p&p if you're interested?

Thank you so much for your offer Mikej460. My feeling at present is that I want to stay with a 125mm because I have so many 5in discs, abranet, etc. Thank you, too to the other advice, above. I was really interested in the Peter Millard video and also the Sealey version. I guess just now I am somewhat phased by so much choice. The Hyvst/Sealey tool seems to work rather differently.

I have the Makita M9204 (slightly cheaper on Screwfix than the Erbauer) which has been a great little sander for the price. I also have the Erbauer EXT (cordless) sander which has been a little bit under powered in comparison but cordless has different advantages. Be aware that the Sealey in Peter Millard's video is a 6". I think a lot of it depends on your budget. I can highly recommend the M9204 around the £50 range but a bit more might also get you more. The one downside to the M9204 is it has a small dust collection port (about 20mm) so adaption will be needed if you intend to use a vacuum.

Random Orbit sanders will slow down if you press them hard as they’re not directly driven by the motor like an angle grinder.

A random orbit sander works best with only its own weight as pressure, press down and it’s less effective.

If you are going to purchase a new machine please have a look at the vibration values as they can vary a lot. I’ve only just done the vibration values for all our power tools at work and was shocked how high our Erbauer ERO400 RA sander was, so much so I’ve taken it of service. The complete opposite of our more expensive Bosch GEX125 which has minimal vibration values.

Last edited:
I have the Makita M9204 (slightly cheaper on Screwfix than the Erbauer) which has been a great little sander for the price. I also have the Erbauer EXT (cordless) sander which has been a little bit under powered in comparison but cordless has different advantages. Be aware that the Sealey in Peter Millard's video is a 6". I think a lot of it depends on your budget. I can highly recommend the M9204 around the £50 range but a bit more might also get you more. The one downside to the M9204 is it has a small dust collection port (about 20mm) so adaption will be needed if you intend to use a vacuum.
I seem to recall @petermillard fitted a new backing pad to convert to 125mm?

Happy New Year, by the way...
I have a Silverline Random Orbital Sander which all but stops under the weight of the machine alone - it is the worst power tool in my workshop!
So I would like to replace it with something better. Since I have 125mm discs etc, I'd like to stick to 5in. I am hoping that a good ROS will do for most sanding tasks so I don't have to buy others.
I am not a heavy user so I don't want to spend hundreds, but nor do I want to make the same mistake or buying something rubbish! I have been looking at both the Metabo 3125 and the Makita BO5031 but also see there's an Erbauer ERO400 which some have recommended. (I have an Erbauer brushless combi drill which has been the best I have ever owned - but I stress I am not a demanding professional).
Thanks in advance for ideas and advice...
Morning
Last October I purchased the Makita B05041 and I am pleased to report that its a really great little sander. Able to sort out table tops along with much smaller areas such as fitted skirting with ease. When coupled with an extractor ( my Henry) performed well leaving a good finish with little dust. Light enough to use one handed but with enough grunt to tackle large area's. Throughly recommended this 5" sander.

The best sander I ever used is the Mirka Ceros 125 mmm with the separate transformer. Low centre of gravity, lightweight, dust extraction and a brushless motor are all essential in my view. ROS sanders are finishing sanders only - I often sand veneered surfaces with 400 grit with a light touch. Why Mirka discontinued this model in favour of the Deros is beyond me but if Mirka are outside your budget then Makita make some nice smooth sanders.

I have the Metabo SXE 450 Duo and over the years it has been a great sander and still works fine except the duo button doesn't work, I suspect it is repairable but I bought a Metabo SXE 150-5.0 BL (Green Mirka) instead. I'm looking for £50 plus p&p if you're interested?

@mikej460 Sander novice here... what does the more expensive model give you over the Duo?

@mikej460 Sander novice here... what does the more expensive model give you over the Duo?
It's smaller and quieter, effectively a palm sander so easier to control on smaller pieces. There's not that much difference in performance mind you. As with most quality sanders it's the sandpaper that makes the biggest difference, the rest is down to personal preference.

Latest posts

Back