Advice please: Kity 413

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twodoctors

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Not been active on here recently but relatively active in the workshop...

Anyway since I was here last I've upgraded my bandsaw from a cheap and nasty Aldi-type bandsaw with 80mm cut depth, to a Scheppach Basa 1 (100mm cut depth). Really enjoyed my bandsaw boxes making, but found the 100mm depth a bit too shallow for the job. Found a Kity 413 on Gumtree last week... I think it was meant to be. The guy was about 150miles away, but I was in the area so to speak. Bought it without much hestitation as I haven't seen any saw with 150mm cut depth for less than £180 before (paid £100). Not really inspected it much either when I got there. It cuts, so loaded it in the car and drove off.

On closer inspection at home, the guy had been using wood for the side guides (something I've done with my first bandsaw so not that worried). The Scheppach I had came with bearing guides all round, and would love to upgrade the Kity to bearing guides as well. Looking at the construction, it would appear that the thrust bearing cannot be upgraded and it's part of the bandsaw. The side guides however is held on like other bandsaws (ie unscrew, remove the side guide assembly and replace).

Does anyone sell the side bearing assesmbly on its own, and do you think it would fit? If not is there an alternative to wood for the side guides? :-D

Thanks.

Adrian

Why replace? Lignum vitae, or the commercial "Koolblox" or whatever they are called, do an excellent job. And don't gobble up cut depth.
(I can only muster up one " Doctor")

Thanks both.

Where would I find more lignum vitae? I thought it's was just random bit of wood... :p

Adrian

I have the same bandsaw plus another bigger one. The big one has bearing type guides, the Kity has wooden blocks. When I bought the Kity it had random bits of soft wood. I replaced these with lignum vitae. i have never felt the need to change them to bearings. In fact they have the advantage if you want to use very narrow blades you can close them right up to fully support it.

Look for a LV pen blank, more then big enough, I think I got mine from ebay.

Mark

Back