Advice on working with 10mm mild steel round bar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mart85

Reaction score
First post so treat me gently :wink:

Can any of you guys give me advice if possible.
I exclusively use 10mm round bar in large amounts and I’m tired of bending by hand,I need advice on methods to create the same shape over and over,I’m currently bending the below shape around a 12mm plate arc,but getting lots of spring back. They always vary slightly which makes the next step in my process awkward. I’m on a budget so can’t afford a cnc bender and am open to suggestions,it needs to be reasonably quick as I need several hundred per day.
Thank you for looking..... mart

A9BA5DA9-F9E4-4A6E-AEEA-ACD9F935EE80.jpeg

Attachments

• A9BA5DA9-F9E4-4A6E-AEEA-ACD9F935EE80.jpeg
    A9BA5DA9-F9E4-4A6E-AEEA-ACD9F935EE80.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 453
Get someone else to make them if you need 100's a day

Otherwise heating them up to bend them would be my next Idea but tricky heating something long and thin like that evenly.

Adidat

Thank you for replying Adidat. This is the trouble,I’m a one man band who’s been working from my garage at home and have recently moved into a work unit,I wouldn’t know where to start ie finding somebody who would do the bending for me and what the cost per piece would be.

A quick Google of CNC bending Yorkshire brings up many results. Make a few phone calls, send some emails and you will have some prices fairly quick

If you put in an order of 5000 (5 week's worth) it probably won't work out that much.....

I'm rather interested in what you are making now, and why you need some many per day!

Adidat

Mart85":3uvqs1wb said:
Adidat. I make plastic coated traps.

Ok, now you have my attention! Too big for mice, too small for a unicorn trap. What do your traps trap?

PS no idea on bending.

Sheet metal rollers often have grooves in one end of the rolls for doing round bar. I think our larger ones would do 10/12 mm.

Farm it out, that is way to many to be making yourself and uneconomic in the numbers you are talking about.
If your business is going strong then order several months supply and the price will be really good. It will be childs play for someone setup to do this, the shape is very simple.

Spring back on round bar is inevitable and it never will be consistent, because the consistency of the bar plus the stresses of the it being formed will never be the same.
Looking at your shape and If I was a one man operator (which I am) I would only bend the top.
If I didn't want to to do the cutting myself I would order in pre-cut bar, then jig assemble and weld.

I feel your pain with hand bending I used to make re-bar baskets for foundation work and have bent hundreds of shapes on a hand Samson bender.

Latest posts

Back