advice on which leather for strop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last word is "if it works for you, use it" :)

Chamois leather glued to a flat plate (Timber or metal) serves well for stropping when partnered with stropping paste/crayon, or visit a saddler's/leather worker's shop and ask if they have any butt leather off-cuts. Thickness doesn't really matter and tool edges needn't match the quality you'd expect from a straight razor.

I'm only just into my second block of stropping paste by "Starkie & Starkie" in around 20 years and can't complain. It's pail blue in colour and I haven't a clue regarding the recipe they use, but it works just fine. Simply add a little to your strop if the final edge polish begins to take longer than usual.

I strop using the finer/face side of the leather, but what works for me may not work for you/others, so be prepared to experiment a little. Sharpening kit needn't cost much and you can achieve excellent - working edge - results from an inexpensive combination India stone and home made strop. Just remember to hone/whet edges on stones and keep grinding for the grinding wheel and when an edge has been damaged or you need to extend the primary bevel (If you use primary and secondary bevels).

Scary sharp to white - 10,000 + on granite. Strop with razor strop fungus on home made oak paddle. :mrgreen:

It's working so far :D

All the lads at work can't believe how sharp i get my blades and chisels LOL

I was thinking about this over the weekend, and realised that even if the postulated non-abrasive-stropping-action is applicable to removing the burr/rag left by stones of less than 8000 JIS grit, this only applies to the first strop after the stone.

Further edge maintaining "stropping", such as carvers find so useful, are obviously not removing something left by a stone. Since they obviously do something, it seems logical to infer a simple abrasive process.

BugBear

What a fantastic thread :D . I found this thread as I was looking for the optimum thickness of stropping leather.
As a sharpening noob I have learnt the difference between polishing and stropping....(I think :roll: ) as well as the existence of numerous compounds. Gentlemen it is an honour to have read such a challenging debate with no expletives =D> .

Latest posts

Back