Advice on using an MFT to cut full sheets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on the saw as well. The guides on my ts55 for example are longer than on my titan. A titan that's not wholly on the rail can waver a bit while the festool is a bit more lenient from what I've seen.

Mike, I'm not sure what your issue is about the sheet and the far end dogs? The edge of the sheet should be against 2 dogs while the rail should be against 2 dogs perpendicular to the ones for the sheet. You can of course use the rightmost one for the sheet for the rail as well.

This only works if the 4 mfts you've fitted are perfectly aligned with each other of course.

Another issue you might run into is the motor housing hitting the tall dogs bracing the rail. I tend to use shorter ones to avoid the annoyance.
The Triton is unstable unless it is fully on the track and I've got a choice of dog heights if the motor is a problem. The 4 MFTs are perfectly aligned and you're right I only need 2 dogs along the near edge. This is my first time using MFTs so maybe overthinking this instead of just testing it. After watching the video above I figured I needed UJK clips to stop the track from moving away from the dogs. I'll try it as it is and see how I go. I didn't want to spend anymore cash on a Festool track just yet as I need to buy a load of concrete for the new shop base soon!

IMNSHO you don’t have enough track so need 1 more, you may need to cut it. What ever anyone said, though it is possible to cut with 20cm overhang you should not make it part of your on going workflow.
Do it once or twice and you will quickly find you agree. I use a 1400 + an 800 or a 1010 + an 800.
I also have an alignment jig that while it cost about as much as a rail is worth the cost as I am guaranteed quick perfectly aligned joined rails every time. My rails are 1400, 1010, 800, & 800 it’s extremely difficult for me to get a longer rail but even if it were easy it is too much money for too little need as the ones I have do a perfect job.

The Triton is unstable unless it is fully on the track and I've got a choice of dog heights if the motor is a problem. The 4 MFTs are perfectly aligned and you're right I only need 2 dogs along the near edge. This is my first time using MFTs so maybe overthinking this instead of just testing it. After watching the video above I figured I needed UJK clips to stop the track from moving away from the dogs. I'll try it as it is and see how I go. I didn't want to spend anymore cash on a Festool track just yet as I need to buy a load of concrete for the new shop base soon!
Just have a go with some small bits first. Watch Peter millards tracksaw series and go at it.

No need for track clips though they are nice additions to help out.

Well I used my MFT for some 18mm cross cutting today and I'm very pleased. Everything is nice and square and the protectors kept the blade off the table. The 1.4m track was ok with a bit of fiddling to get enough for the saw to start on; I didn't need the clips. I must say that, in keeping with the Multi-Functional name is makes a great marking out bench.

Latest posts

Back