Advice on using a Jigsaw Please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello

I'm trying to take about 5mm off a kitchen Worktop.

My Jigsaw Blade is deviating IE not staying vertical & popping out of the cut at the bottom.

How do I keep it vertical.

Thanks!

Hi Neil

I'm using the right blade. The blade may be bent slightly to the right after making a few sharp left bends when cutting out sink & hob holes.

MWM

Unfortunately blade drift when cutting is a fact of life - even with the latest whiz-bang Festool it CANNOT be avoided. The best thing to do is to ensure that your blade is a new blade. The best way to take 5mm off the end of a worktop is to use either a circular saw and a straight edge or a large router and a straight edge (taking 2 or so passes)

Scrit

Must say i always use a router for worktop cutting . Even to the extent of making a jig for what ever i am doing eg cutting out a hob or sink as jigsaws always drift on thick worktop .

While recognising that blade wander happens, when we demonstrate the Mafell jigsaw at shows etc, what we generally cut is kitchen worktop as this is what gets cut most and we cut through a 4" square piece of green oak. Both pieces show no deviation of cut and will cut at 90 degrees. We use Lenox blades to cut with and this combined with the gearing of the jigsaw, enables you to get a straight cut. Next time you see Mafell on show anywhere, then please come and try the jigsaw out and give us an opinion. We are open for business from Monday 5th January for any queries etc regarding Mafell or Scheppach

Hi Scrit

Firstly, let me say Happy New Year to you and yours and thank you for all of your assistance last year.

To date I haven't cut a worktop with the Festool, but when combined with a Lennox blade I have not noticed any wander. I should say that I have only ever used it with a Lennox blade.

Perhaps we should all go out and buy the PowerPro jigsaw and just use a Lennox blade. Luckily, I got fifty Lennox blades free when I bought the Festool and I must say that they are excellent.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil

Must say that I'm intrigued by the lack of wander with Lennox blades. I'm still using a mixture of Scintilla and Progressor blades and I've accepted blade drift, even with a new blade, as a potential. So much so that I tend to rough out cut-outs with a jigsaw then finish with a router (I tend to do solid wood worktops, so I can't see that changing much). But there again, my Metabo scroll saw is knocking on a bit, so.....

I have been using Lennox TCT blades on the big bandsaw for a couple of years now and I have to say that they are excellent, as are their craft (Stanley) knife blades which seem unsnappable. Maybe it's time to seek out someone who sells their jig saw blades.

Regards

Scrit

Hi Scrit

As I said earlier I have not used the blades on a worktop, but I would have expected to have finished the cut off with a router.

If you have any problem sourcing the blades, please let me know and I will get some to you.

Cheers

Neil

Hi all

Just to let you know that Protrade have the FESTOOL PSB300EQ Jigsaw with 40 free LENNOX bladesd on their web site at 199 plus vat.

Cheers
Neil

Back