Advice on using a Dust Vortex from Amazon...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeyJay

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to get a dust vortex type thing - I was going to make it myself but I'm having trouble getting a decent sized air-tight container that I can use. Ive tried a couple of bins but they all seem to be very flimsy and attaching my shop vac (Record Power DX1000) to them makes them deform at times and stop working.
There seem to be loads of these dust vortices on Amazon, usually for £20ish but all of the use 50mm hoses. The problem is that pretty much everything that I have uses 100mm hoses and I was wondering what the introduction of a 50mm choke point would do to the system in real terms.
I'm aware that Axminster do a 100mm Vortex now, but they state that it's not for use with a HPLV vac, which is what mine is.
Can anyone please advise?

If you want something that takes say half an atmosphere before imploding, you need to look for a pressure vessel off a compressor or similar (totally pointless, don't do it), or fit a relief valve to open when you create too much differential (do do this).

However, if you're using HPLV with 100mm hose you either have an enormous sucker, or you're wasting your time. The 50mm throttle won't ruin your performance much compared to using 100mm hose, you've already killed it probably.

It sounds like you are aiming for a very odd setup and might need a re-think

Aidan

Have a look at Peter Parfitt's latest video where he uses the new Axminster cyclone successfully with a HPLV unit and a 4" hose.

You need to rig up something with 100mm ports to make good use of your extractor. Choking down to 50mm will get you less than a quarter of it's capacity and like as not do the motor some damage. Those 50mm cyclones are for use with shop vacs that use 50mm or smaller hose. Someone just posted yesterday about a 100mm cyclone from Axminster.
Regards
John
Regards
John

I’ve used the Axminster cyclone with a Camvac (all 4 inch hoses) and it works well. A lot quieter than my “proper” chip extractor! I wondered whether it would struggle with planer shavings, so had a play with that and that also works pretty much as well as my 1hp dedicated chip extractor. One word of caution... it takes about 1ms to collapse the supplied cage if the hose gets blocked. Say for instance you were playing with it and hoovering up stuff off the floor!

I use the camvac & axi cyclone on my bandsaw and it works fine.

You can remove a lot of the risk of collapse on a container by drilling a hole in the top and using a jam jar lid with a magnet attached a small piece of wood and a spring.

gog64":39nvbeao said:
I’ve used the Axminster cyclone with a Camvac (all 4 inch hoses) and it works well. A lot quieter than my “proper” chip extractor! I wondered whether it would struggle with planer shavings, so had a play with that and that also works pretty much as well as my 1hp dedicated chip extractor. One word of caution... it takes about 1ms to collapse the supplied cage if the hose gets blocked. Say for instance you were playing with it and hoovering up stuff off the floor!

I use the camvac & axi cyclone on my bandsaw and it works fine.
I use the Dust Deputy Super and a twin motor Camvac, works fine for most wood waste inc p/t shavings and sawdust. It's a good idea to regularly clean the cloth filters in the Camvac as they soon become a bit clogged. It's also a good idea to fit a PRV (Pressure Relief Valve) on the collection bin (I use a 220l water butt) and Peter Parfitt on one of his videos shows how to make one in about 5 mins. As others have said, if all the gates in the system are closed and you switch on, the collection bin will collapse almost instantly - Rob

ScaredyCat":1ztbrxo4 said:
You can remove a lot of the risk of collapse on a container by drilling a hole in the top and using a jam jar lid with a magnet attached a small piece of wood and a spring.

I cannot quite get my head around that care to elaborate for an silly person?

Someone posted a PRV on here a while ago, can anyone link it for me please?

I have a cyclone thing here, hooked up to a henry hoover.

Mk1 was a thin polyethene drum off eBay. The generic blue drum is normally quite thick / sturdy but this one was rubbish. I knew it was a flimsey thing to start with but pushed on anyway. Drum deformed.

MK2 was another drum, normal thickness, and it's been fine (with the Henry) but it's only 30 ltrs. Which is fine for what I use it for (alluminium chippings from my CNC machine) but would fill up quickly from a planer.

I have one of those big Axminster things for wood, but did not want to contaminate the sawdust with alluminium, hence the cyclone.

Closing point -

I think the first drum deformed when an offcut got caught in the hose. Possibly in normal running it would be fine. On MK2 I'm paying more attention to what I suck up and the chip loading on the device.

Latest posts

Back