Advice on Timber purchasing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfg

Reaction score
Hi There,

I am new to the woodworking scene, and would like help on how to find a place that sells hardwood, like oak, cherry etc. around where I live. I would ideally like to go to the yard and pick out what I would like to work with, however every time I look on Yell (dot) com, I can find a yard, however it is only softwood construction timber.

I live in the Hampshire area and was wondering if anyone could let me know a good cheap place to purchase Oak, and which is cheaper, American or European Oak?

Thanks in Advance

hi there bfg, there is a great online hardwood dealer called S.L hardwoods, great prices great website really easy costs up your materials as you go, but they are based in ashford so would be a slight journey but they also deliver too :) can order over the phone so can ask for spacific types of boards and colour.
american oak is cheaper than euro oak and has a tighter grain but i just love the look of European oak and the smell when machining it

bfg":o587xhcm said:
I am new to the woodworking scene, and would like help on how to find a place that sells hardwood, like oak, cherry etc. around where I live. I would ideally like to go to the yard and pick out what I would like to work with, however every time I look on Yell (dot) com, I can find a yard, however it is only softwood construction timber.

Have you seen UKW's own "find my local..." section?

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/local/

Stick your postcode in the top right and it'll show you what's nearby - you may have to expand the search radius a bit. Apparently Surrey Timbers is about eight miles from Fleet and sells various hardwoods?

Hi All,

Wow, So helpful. Thanks to all that have replied and pointed me in the right direction. S.L.Hardwoods look great as do Surry Timbers. I found Surry Timbers this afternoon, but was no too sure about them as the website did not look to good, however seeing is believing and as you pointed out, they are not too far from me, so I will be making a trip down there this weekend.

Again, thanks to you all for the advice.

Regards

Back