Advice on table saw that is "quietish"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Rogers

Reaction score
I’m trying to get into woodworking in a hobby / craft fashion, and I’m looking for advice on a small or compact table saw that is accurate, not at the top end of noisy because of neighbours, and costing around £400 to £500. I give more details of my current workshop below, but in summary here is my issue.

I became very interested in the De Walt 7485. There are many positive reviews about it. What’s putting me off is the noise. It’s a brushed motor, and I understand that induction motors are a lot quieter – although is the sound benefit of induction completely lost when you actually start cutting timber?

I compared the spec for noise with the Bosch GTS10J and that seems to be even louder.

I already have a Festool tracksaw (which seems pretty quiet) and a Bosch GCM 8SJL compound mitre saw (not so quiet). The reason I’m looking for a small table saw is that there are some cuts that I find awkward on the other saws; narrow rip cuts, and to a lesser extent rebating. I have watched Peter Millard’s videos on using track saws, and I find them very good; but still I find the track saw awkward for narrow workpieces.
For noise comparison purposes, I do also have a Makita 2012nb planer thicknesser. The spec for this shows the noise sound pressure as 86 dB(A) and noise sound power as 99 dB(A). The De Walt 7845 comes in at 90 and 107; the Bosch GTS10J as 103 and 116! I’m not sure what these values mean, but as this is a logarithmic scale the saws seem much louder than my planer thicknesser, which is already quite noisy. Or am I wrongly interpreting the specs for sound?

Does anybody have suggestions for a saw that may fit the bill for me? Or a satisfactory experience of either of the two machines mentioned above?
Thank you

Induction motor.

Something like a kity 419 / aximinster craft saw.

I think most are £600+ tbh. Second hand about half that.

What James said.
A clean used Kity 419 would be my recommendation for you too. For hobby / craft use the anodised aluminium table of the original Kity would be easier to care for than cast iron and I'd rather have the French original than an Axminster "craft" copy.
They pop up reasonably often on ebay and your budget will get you a good one. Make sure the original rip fence and mitre gauge are included. The Kity's cast alloy mitre gauge is not half bad and it fits the narrow slots on the saw's table.

I have the dewalt 745 l s and the one and only negative is the noise ,, I only use it outside because of the noise but that said it meets my needs, it’s accurate for my needs and the fence locks at both ends of the table . The mitre slots take a standard mitre gauge so the supplied m/ gauge was discarded. I like yourself wanted a t/saw with induction motor but the cost outweighed the advantage’s.

Not going down that rabbit hole regarding the other noisy machines you have,
should you wish to upgrade them in future.
Spiral cutterheads are expensive should that be down the road, of which I know nothing,
as in which flavour ofdesign is quietest of those types of retrofits, Trevanion would know about that over at the other place.

Regarding the tablesaw, "silent" blades are available, i.e Felder for starters, but likely still eye wateringly expensive.
Once again Trevanion has certainly the best info on this I've ever came across.
He had a nice juicy post on this, but I believe he took it down when he got the boot from this place for unknown reasons to me.

Just saying it should be food for thought, since you can easily get a proper cabinet saw for that money.
If there is a camp of folks waiting it out for cheaper "silent power" TS blades, I certainly am being in the wild west of tool rustlers.

If a cabinet saw is off the cards then you should read Trevanion's post regardless, as it mentions size of carbide tips, and other things considering noise.
My machine is a bit louder with a ZCI throat plate, but it wouldn't stop me from using it.

Way too dangerous of a machine to not have everything perfect, check the stats for circular saw accidents in the USA, around sixty thousand "reported" accidents annually!
and if not on a site, then just asking for trouble with something portable and likely displeasing
to use, as less chance of it being viewed as a lifetime tool
i.e It'll do for now, not deemed worthy of putting time money and energy into it kinda thing, since the brushed universal motor could self destruct at any time.

Hoping some 300mm silent blades will be made soon, if not already.

Tom

I’m trying to get into woodworking in a hobby / craft fashion, and I’m looking for advice on a small or compact table saw that is accurate, not at the top end of noisy because of neighbours, and costing around £400 to £500. I give more details of my current workshop below, but in summary here is my issue.

I became very interested in the De Walt 7485. There are many positive reviews about it. What’s putting me off is the noise. It’s a brushed motor, and I understand that induction motors are a lot quieter – although is the sound benefit of induction completely lost when you actually start cutting timber?

I compared the spec for noise with the Bosch GTS10J and that seems to be even louder.

I already have a Festool tracksaw (which seems pretty quiet) and a Bosch GCM 8SJL compound mitre saw (not so quiet). The reason I’m looking for a small table saw is that there are some cuts that I find awkward on the other saws; narrow rip cuts, and to a lesser extent rebating. I have watched Peter Millard’s videos on using track saws, and I find them very good; but still I find the track saw awkward for narrow workpieces.
For noise comparison purposes, I do also have a Makita 2012nb planer thicknesser. The spec for this shows the noise sound pressure as 86 dB(A) and noise sound power as 99 dB(A). The De Walt 7845 comes in at 90 and 107; the Bosch GTS10J as 103 and 116! I’m not sure what these values mean, but as this is a logarithmic scale the saws seem much louder than my planer thicknesser, which is already quite noisy. Or am I wrongly interpreting the specs for sound?

Does anybody have suggestions for a saw that may fit the bill for me? Or a satisfactory experience of either of the two machines mentioned above?
Thank you
I’d save my money and go for a good bandsaw. MUCH safer. Also it’s quieter and can easily achieve what you want. I’ve got a dewalt table saw and it’s very noisy. I’m probably gonna sell it, my two cheap-ish bandsaws; take a deep breath and get one good bandsaw instead. Only reason I can now see for a table saw is large sheets, and my workshop isn’t big enough for that anyway!

Do not buy a Dewalt job site saw if noise is a concern. Ear defenders are mandatory ppe when using my DW745.

The Axminster craft table saws start at about £600 and are induction - those are what i would go. If you don't want to stretch the budget then grab a used one, or the kitty like somebody else suggested.
Martin

Has to be induction motor and cast iron for sound reduction.
High frequency noise doesn't travel so well so it's worth checking from the outside what the neighbours can actually hear when somebody inside is running a noisy machine.
Quite likely be much less than you imagine

Thank you
Hi,

In short the Lp, the Pressure and the Lw, the sound power are both different... the sound power is the energy calculated over a surface area and would not change if the saw was moved inside or outside... think of a 1kw FIRE.. it's always going to be a 1kw fire where ever you locate it.
The pressure is more like the temperature of your fire.. this will go up or down depending on where you are located.
The Lw, the sound power the manufacturers give you are helpful but the pressure s likely to be the level where you would stand. Lower noise can mean lower power .
Yes they are logarithmic and that means that 3dB higher is twice as loud.
The faster the sa wis the noisier it can be.. resin can build up and cause squeal and also blunt, damaged, cheep or unbalanced cutting discs cab be louder too. Also if you workshop has a metal roof it is likely to be louder..

Like others have said, cheaper hobbyist-grade machines typically use a brushed motor which is very loud, often louder than the cutting operation itself. An induction motor running idly will be very quiet, it becomes much louder with the introduction of a blade which will whine as the air around the teeth is moving and if the saw plate is resonating. You can get quieter blades that incorporate various tricks to reduce resonance but you still will have that air movement at the teeth and around the table insert plate which will cause the majority of noise.

Hi,

In short the Lp, the Pressure and the Lw, the sound power are both different... the sound power is the energy calculated over a surface area and would not change if the saw was moved inside or outside.......
If you move it inside you will hear it less from outside. Possibly not at all, depending on details.
High frequency noise doesn't travel far.

dewalt is a VERY NOISY machine brand.
Bought a thicknesser once, and got rid of it fast - not bad gear but SO BLO.DY NOISY
I would never buy ANY dewalt machine again.
If noise is an issue, buy a saw with an induction motor .

Plenty of the Sheppach around they have brushless motors....mines over 20 years old.....
mines a proper looking saw, Yellow on a foldable cabinet ^original^ with wheels....
I keep mine for super accurate small jobs....I also use it to teach people how to use a table saw....
it's not as intimidating as a 14incher....

Kity / aximinster are generally good.

Have a Korean Naerok saw which is also excellent. Also made as an early aximinster saw.

Then above those are the bigger cast iron saws.

Back