Advice on table saw/router table/assembly table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrg710

Reaction score
I'm looking to make an 8x4 assembly table with a built in router elevator (which I don't have yet) and a table saw (which I do have - a Charnwood W629).

The Intention then is to have a series of T tracks which can then accept fences for both the table saw and router.

Before I embark upon designing this, has anyone here done something similar? Any pointers?

I would personally make 2 smaller tables.
This would give you more options for moving them in the future etc. 8 by 4 is a big area, fine if you have a vast barn so you can get around it easily.
I don't know your space or workflow of course, but will it have wheels ? ( I put everything on wheels now) .
Do you really need t track, it might be easier ( and cheaper) to do dog holes MFT style, this offers versatile clamping options.

Before building anything do two things.
First do a mock up of the finished size with trestles or boxes or something.
Second do a drawing on sketchup, fusion 360 or something to give you a proper plan.

Ollie

Unless you have another bench that will be your main bench I think the general consensus is to keep your bench and machines separate. All in one sounds a great use of space but you will spend all your time having to clear stuff off the bench so you can use the saw and router table.

I am in the middle of doing something similar, as I only have space for one bench.

Did a simple model in SketchUp first and broke it down into 3 bits. The router table and saw table sit on two separate units and have machine wheels so if I need to move them for bigger work pieces then I can.

Just in the middle of making the MFT top now, and then the plan is to make draws underneath the units. 2DCCA38D-3176-4B7D-9FDA-A239E8B9372A.jpeg7CE3754A-3678-446A-99E4-926A685A2CC1.jpeg2B8081ED-C10A-48DD-B940-C743AF03648F.jpeg5DB7A332-270D-45CC-8C91-C0C059EC737F.jpeg

I am in the middle of doing something similar, as I only have space for one bench.

Did a simple model in SketchUp first and broke it down into 3 bits. The router table and saw table sit on two separate units and have machine wheels so if I need to move them for bigger work pieces then I can.

Just in the middle of making the MFT top now, and then the plan is to make draws underneath the units. View attachment 101180View attachment 101181View attachment 101182View attachment 101183
That's a really good idea!

Thank you for the replies, guys. I expect to begin this project in March/April this year... will post photos of progress as it goes along.

Just one question- dust collection from the box underneath the router.

I see many boxes with holes in the side. Why don't the tables simply have more holes in the top to create downdraught?

That's a really good idea!

Thank you for the replies, guys. I expect to begin this project in March/April this year... will post photos of progress as it goes along.

work so far, now to wheel in the saw and router tables units 👍

Attachments

• 6018083A-E7D5-4CC8-9530-7F86AE812EC0.jpeg
    6018083A-E7D5-4CC8-9530-7F86AE812EC0.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 14
Back