Advice on spindle moulder purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to you all. Thanks Pete, back to the drawing board with a motor replacement!
Actually, I have been thinking about combination machines. Having enough space around it will be the main issue, as my garage is long but narrow and was designed I think for when cars were smaller. Worth considering though. The hammer combo table saw and moulder is tempting and is 2K.

Interesting regarding the EQ. I have asked the seller for a video of it as you recommended. A friend of mine does have a lathe so fabricating sleeves might be possible. I also have quite a few boxes of old bearings from my grandad who was a train engineer. I do quite like the EQ, it looks solid!

I have made some enquires about two SCM T110 machines, both have power feed, tilt and are a bit newer, more expensive but still under 2K.
From all the good advice from everyone, I have decided that I am not going to focus quite so much on the budget, but the machine and what it can do for me for the next 35 plus years!
Biggest thing I cannot decide upon is single or 3 phase.Western Power are giving me a quote for 3 phase.

From all the good advice from everyone, I have decided that I am not going to focus quite so much on the budget, but the machine and what it can do for me for the next 35 plus years!

My advice would be to slow down a bit and bring the focus back to the budget a bit, we've gone from a budget of £600 to well over £2000 in a matter of a few posts!

I can understand the desire to want the best possible right away, but it will honestly be wasted on a complete amateur and I feel some posters here are leading you down a path of serious expense (initial cost of the machine, some form of three-phase supply, tooling on top of that...) without any good reason for it. More power is indeed a nice luxury, but a 3hp single-phase machine such as a Sedgwick SM3 or GW will do 90% of any spindle work without any issue whatsoever and all of what you mentioned in your first post, you'll only run into problems when you're taking massive cuts at a rate of knots (less than ideal anyway) which is when the extra horsepower comes into play. A tilting spindle is indeed useful, but only very rarely and there are workarounds for doing that kind of work on a fixed spindle, reverse is also helpful but again, only very rarely.

Get a smaller, more inexpensive, and more reasonable machine first, have a play, find its limitations while working with it if you even come across any, and then assess if you need a machine with more capabilities like the SCM 110s, Wadkin EQs, and what have you. There are bargains to be had on eBay and Facebook Marketplace, you just have to be patient and diligent and the right machine will appear for the right price.

Last edited:
I am saying the same yet from another perspective. Please calm down and hold onto your money.

You don't need a tilting spindle. Given time you will find a very good non tilting spindle moulder secondhand for well under 1000 pounds. The same price or mariginally more than you would pay for a lightweight hobby model. Just give it time and keep looking!

For instance I got my surplus Jonsered FM-C thrown in on top of the buy when I bought a secondhand stock feeder for 150 euros. It had lost it's fence though and fences are hard to find in the wild. However I have seen plenty of good and complete heavy duty spindle moulders in the 200-600 euro range plus let's say 300-600 euros in required rebuild costs. It is really no need to shell out money on an intermediate machine you will eventually sell at a loss. Stay calm and keep looking!

It is really no need to shell out money on an intermediate machine you will eventually sell at a loss. Stay calm and keep looking!

I would agree with the sentiment if it wasn’t for the fact that you still need to power the thing, and we’ve already found that three-phase isn’t available readily (and all the cost and headache that entails), and massive machines are just a pain in a small workshop such as a garage.

A secondhand intermediate machine such as a single-phase Sedgwick will always hold its value, and if bought at a good enough price it will actually appreciate in value as people are always searching for single-phase machines in Britain.

I would just add to a previous poster's feedback.... I too have a Wadkin Bursgreen BER2. While basic (as noted, no tilt spindle), it is about as heavy duty a machine you can get into a footprint like it has. It is beautifully made (ductile iron table, not grey), hefty for its size (about 800lbs) and essentially matches the footprint of a standard cabinet saw like a Wadkin Bursgreen AGS10.
Bearings are substantial, but if needing replacement won't require a second mortgage or selling off of any step children. It has replaceable spindles, so you can add spindles of different sizes as needed (might bring down future tooling costs). Also they came in 3hp and optionally 4hp 3 phase and are set up for two speeds out of the box. With a VFD attached you could expand those speeds up or down by 50% without too much worry. Others here may know of others in this same category of machine, so there might be other options in the size/weight category.
I'm just a hobbyist and use my garage, so it's a perfect machine for me (mine has a power feeder as well). You can pretty much run everything but the most massive custom blocks... The only drawback for me is finding different sized spindles here in the States is basically impossible (all US ones came standard with a 1" spindle top piece... been looking for 1.25", 3/4", and stub spindle ones forever), but I doubt you would have that problem over there.

You are getting all good advice, so I'm sure you will end up with something excellent!

(pictures are from the day I picked it up!)

Attachments

• My Wadkin 2.png
    My Wadkin 2.png
    598.9 KB · Views: 0
  • My Wadkin.png
    My Wadkin.png
    1,011.3 KB · Views: 0
I recently sold a small Elektra Bekum spindle that I had owned for about 20 years. It was bought for cabinet work such as bespoke kitchens. I ran door panel grooves with a wobble saw, large rebates on frames and larger mouldings that my 1/2" collect Elu router set under a table needed would have several passes to produce.
It was a reluctant sale, bought I could no longer really justify keeping it. Unless you plan on doing heavy commercial work then this combination should cope with whatever you need to do.

Colin

Thank you all for the advice.
yes, I was thinking last night that I had lost it a bit price wise!
I think I have been thinking that I must purchase something immediately when as you say, if I take my time something decent will come up at a good price.
Also, I have not even tried one of these machines, so next week I am going to see if I can find a course first.

Will try and calm down!

Here you go if we are posting photos of our Wadkin BER 2's

spindle moulder.jpg

Picked mine up locally for about £300-£400, came with a euro block and cutters, 2 rebate blocks, wobble saw, a couple of raised panel cutters and a couple of blocks and cutters which we you shouldn't use these days, absolute bargain 😊

This is the Elektra Beckum I had (probably same as Colin?)

https://www.dbkeighley.co.uk/masters/tf100.htm
Used it for a couple of years and only sold it as I got the Wadkin, it could cut a rebate for double glazing in one pass, what more do you need :dunno:

Hi all, I have an offer of a Scheppach hf3000 ci with table extension. It is single phase 4hp and £400. it is in good condition.
Could anyone tell me if this is a good machine? I realise that it is smaller and will have some limitations etc., but will it do the job do you think?
my main concern is that at only 150kg, it is not sturdy enough vibration wise? is this right or am I worrying over nothing!

Hi all, I have an offer of a Scheppach hf3000 ci with table extension. It is single phase 4hp and £400. it is in good condition.
Could anyone tell me if this is a good machine? I realise that it is smaller and will have some limitations etc., but will it do the job do you think?
my main concern is that at only 150kg, it is not sturdy enough vibration wise? is this right or am I worrying over nothing!

Definitely worrying over nothing, get it as it’s a bargain. As I said, the Kity 628 is only 70kg with a 2HP motor and is capable of a lot of work, more than a router table.

I have been watching this thread closely as I am in the same position as the OP and nowhere near as experienced. However, looking into it I could not justify the cost of a new Trend T14 as a dedicated router and started looking at Jessem's et al. That then left me thinking why not a spindle moulder of which I knew very little to nothing about. I would love to replace all our windows myself (upgrade to double glazed) and any spindle moulder until the time I'm ready would be a good start instead of a new dedicated somewhat underpowered router for my current Trend table.
I would go for it as a starting point considering you were willing to increase your budget significantly in comparison to what you can buy it for.

Latest posts

Back