Advice on small circular random orbit sanders please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinker

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post having just joined. Seems a great site with lots of help on offer. I would appretiate advice on what tool to get that would help me sand around the curves and along undulating surfaces on the bandsaw boxes I've been making. A small circular sander with a thick foam pad that takes hook and loop sheets is I think what I'm after but wondered if there are any suggestions out there........

If you have a pillar drill you can buy sanding attachments for them- similar to the ones used on the oscillating ones.

Rod

Thanks Roger and Rod. I do have a pillar drill and know about the bobbin sanders but feel that a random orbit sander would be less focused which for me iwould be the benefit over the other two suggestions though I appreciate the thought. I don't know if there is the type of pad system for these where the abrasive can come up around the edge of the disk a little. #-o

I Have a random orbit sander and it does not like non flat surfaces it gets very confused not knowing which way to go next so I wouldn't recomend one for that purpose, your better off with the bobbins.

There are many mini circular random orbit sanders on the market but they all seem to be air-powered. They are mainly used in the car body refinishing trade.

There's this small electrically powered one but it has a rectangular sanding pad.

Thanks Jonny D for the info and thanks to the others who took the time - they were all relevant sugestions. I think the festool interface pad is the way to go though - it's the sort of thing I had in my head. Also I had looked at the Kirjes system before but again the price was a concern. The site you directed me to seams to be much more reasonable though so will have to consider that as well. All in all you guys have answered my problem so many many thanks.
Pete

Latest posts

Back