Advice on saw hole drill set.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a set of drill saw bits that cut holes in wood. I will be mainly cutting holes in MDF no more than 1cm thick, so i wondered if this sort of set would do?

Hole saw kit

I was also after making holes a little bigger, and there is this tool that appears to go up to 10cm, but i've not used one before, are they any good?

Adjustable hole saw

I was'nt sure how long those thin blades would last cutting wood?

Thanks for any advice.

Calv.

Those cheap sets don't last long and the cutters wobble about on the arbours.

Get a proper arbor and then buy suitable cutters as you need them, Starret, Bosch and even the red Screwfixones are all OK and will go larger than 100mm

Jason

Hello Calv, I would say a resounding No and No to both of those. I have one of the hole saw sets off e-bay and it isn't a lot of good really, monkey metal I would call it. I have tried to cut MDF with mine and they just clog and burn most of the time. (It even struggled with Pine too!) As for the second it too is cheap and nasty as I have used one of these too. I would go for a good quality hole saw like Bosch or Starret or use an expansive bit. A good alternative would be to use a Forstner bit either in saw tooth or plain but again go for a good quality one. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I have been there and done that and learned the lesson. HTH. :wink:

Thanks guys, much appreciated. and i'd rather have one lot of bad news than learn the hard way after parting with my cash. :?

My problem is that i don't have a huge budget to just go and buy a tool of the greatest quality.........and i can get impatient! :D

Never mind, i'll keep an eye out for a better one. Thanks again,

Calv.

I second Jason I bought one of the Screwfix cheapy sets and a few extra hole saws at the time the set was only £9.99 so I thought it would be rubbish. That was 2 or 3 years ago and they are still going strong, I dont use them every day but I do use them for my living so they do get used a lot.

They still sell them its the RED ones they do an electricians set and a plumbers set.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18459/Dri ... olesaw-Kit

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11002/Dri ... aw-Kit-6Pc

PS as others said they do clog up but I have found most holesaws clog up with MDF even the Starrett ones do.

If it's possible drilling a series of small holes in the material to be cut in the line of the holesaw helps a great deal, all cutters suffer from clogging causing them to burn unless you can clear the debris, a vacuum cleaner held as close as possible to the saw helps also.
And the adjustable ones? anything tougher than plasterboard forget it! :(

Back