Advice on removing part of a storage shelf.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, i have a friend who has this storage unit...

drawer1sml.jpg

The shelves appear to be glued into routered slots. She would like to remove some of the shelves to enlarge areas of the unit (so the small boxes are larger) but is not too sure how to do this.

Would she be looking at some kind of saw, or maybe chisel them out?

Any suggestions most welcome.

Thank you,

Calv.

Only saw that would do it would be something like a fein multimaster.

You could chisel it out, would be lengthy thou.

You could use a router with guides and a bush for bulk removal [as it doesn't look very deep], then clean up with a chisel.

Depending on how deep they are, you may also be able to use a biscuit jointer, cutting from both sides. :wink: Probably then cleaning up with a sharp chisel or finely set block plane, depending on the space you are left with.

Hi Calv,

This looks like an old, purpose-made drawer?

I think removal of partitions or shelves will just make a mess of what is a useful bulk storage tray for small items, and used on its back. Artists' pastels spring to mind. Or screws and nails. :D

If it has to be done, can you remove the back and see if the glue will respond to gentle mallet persuasion.

I would be tempted remove the lot and put in some replacement shelves, preferably adjustable. Use the waste shelves to fill up the unused slots.

While you are doing all that, it might be quicker to make a reproduction with the desired shelf spacing.

HTH
John :)

PS it just occurred to me. Are the partitions cross-halved? If they are you'd surely need to make new shelves anyhow.

John :)

This looks like a typeface drawer to me.

We have a couple of larger drawers like this and looking at them it would be difficult to remove just some of the partitions - the small dividers are set into routed slots and it would only really be possible to remove a complete set of thin dividers and leave the thick divider.

To do anything would involve a fair bit of care and taking it slowly.

Misterfish

Thank you very much for all the suggestions, much appreciated.

Is it ok with everyone if i copy and paste these suggestions to her in a post on a craft forum? I'm not sure how it works here as far as taking the info from a thread, it would just be easier add this info to her thread in the craft forum she belongs to.

Thank you again,

Calv.

Calv":y449jpqt said:
Thank you very much for all the suggestions, much appreciated.

Is it ok with everyone if i copy and paste these suggestions to her in a post on a craft forum? I'm not sure how it works here as far as taking the info from a thread, it would just be easier add this info to her thread in the craft forum she belongs to.

Thank you again,

Calv.
From a personal standpoint, be my guest Calv. Good Luck.

John :D

Latest posts

Back