Advice on refinishing old toolchest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpenteire2009

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
I've just been given a tool chest and tool box, both of which belonged to my great grand uncle. Both are in good shape, some evidence of old woodworm damage , some of the ironmongery is tatty, but both are well made, with dovetailed joinery and quality details in evidence. I'd like to freshen up the external paintwork, which would allow me repair the worm holes and just give the tool boxes a chance to see another 75 years or more of life. I'm thinking along these lines:
1. I've injected all the old worm flight holes, will give another once over to be sure!
2. Sponge clean the interiors with sugar soap and water.
3. Remove external fittings and clean/ buff up, fit new hasp and staple etc.
4. Dry sand the exterior or remove the paint in it's entirety with a heat gun and scraper?
5. Prime, undercoat and mid-sheen gloss oil paint (black).
6. Wax the interior, job done.

It did occur to me that may it would be wrong to refinish and destroy the original look, but then again I think a carpenter in the last century wouldn't have thought twice about slapping on a bit of paint that he might have had to spare! I also think the wood is very dry and worn in parts and I think it would benefit from a bit of paint. These items are users and I plan to fill them with a mix of refurbed old (original to the boxes) and newer tools (my own set). Any thought or suggestions?

Attachments

• DSCF4874.JPG
    DSCF4874.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 589
  • DSCF4875.JPG
    DSCF4875.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 589
  • DSCF4877.JPG
    DSCF4877.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 589
  • DSCF4879.JPG
    DSCF4879.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 589
The tool box is standard issue "Tops" course product which you would make in week 5. Probably in C&G courses too. I have one identical which I made in 1982. I painted mine red. Week six you got issued with the tool kit and you bought a ferkin great padlock!
I did a list of the tools a few weeks back tops-course-basic-kit-1982-t54291.html

and here for a few more suggestions

Back