Advice on planner thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_G

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a planner thicknesser for home use. The main criteria is the noise level from these machines. My workshop is in the garage in a residential estate.

I have seen the following machines:

Elektra Beckum HC260K and
Record PT260

Can anyone advise me on the noise levels either machine produces or can anyone suggest an alternative machine with low noise levels. My budget is about £750.00

Thanks, David

All the P/T's that I am aware of have induction motors, so motor noise is acceptably low. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the noise produced while the machine is working, regardless of make. I don't have a P/T at the moment but I can remember that it was a noisy job (you will need to have an extractor running as well) and tends to go on for quite a long time too.
Other will have an opinon about this as well, but I would say that they are at least as noisy as a router. Perhaps that would give you a starting point in determining how your neighbours will react
John

Dave

John's right. I have a PT260 and it only makes a low hum when it's running. It's when you feed timber into it that it makes the noise. I also have a DX4000 extractor and with both motors running that really is noisy so when the two are put together you definitely have a good old din!

Ear defenders are a must!

If your extractor was outside your shop it would help the noise at the machine but that's not helping your situation with the neighbours.

I suspect hobby p/t noise levels are all about the same so maybe you should be looking for a "quiet" extractor....or some sound insulation for your garage! :D

Thanks for the advice - if the noise is comparable with my router - then I think I should be okay with the noise levels.

Dust extraction is noisy - and is I guess aceptable as no one has said to me it is a problem and it's not used evert day for long periods of time.

Sound insulation is not really an option - the only area I could insulate is the garage door - but even that would prove difficult because its an over and under electric door.

May be I'll gamble and just go ahead and if all goes wrong sell my p/t.

Cheers, Dave

Dave

As previously stated, the planing action is where the noise comes from, the machine is very quiet as they use an induction motor

Look here, an you will see comparable noise figures for router, P/T and several other tools - note that the router figure is when NOT cutting, just free running on the bench and so the router is much louder than the P/T

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2149

Dave
P/T's are noisy, but as long as you uise it during the day/early evening you should be o.k. Being sensible is the key. If you use a router then a P/T is not going to be a problem.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Back