Advice on painting kitchen island to spray or not to spray.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobyriches

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

New to this forum, but could really do with some advice on the best way to paint this kitchen island. In the past I have had furniture spray finished to a high standard and have always been impressed with the finish. I recently spray finished a large built in MDF unit myself, with an Earlex HV5000 using Morrells pigmented waterbourne lacquer, and was very happy with the results.

I have just completed the kitchen island below, using a mixture of softwood and reclaimed tongue in groove. An MDF spice rack will go between the posts. I was going to spray finish with the Earlex using Morrells primer and pigmented waterbourne laquer. However, because of the wood grains, and reclaimed tongue in groove I am thinking I may not be happy with the spray finish and that a hand painted approach might be better for this project.
island.jpg

This is something I did in the past. I primed MDF with Zinnser BIN and painted with two coats of Dulux trade oil based eggshell, but did not like the sheeny slightly plastic finish. In addition the waiting overnight between coats was a drag.

I have heard good things about Little Green Eggshell and am interested in trying it, and wonder if its a good choice for this project. Will it be hard wearing enough for a kitchen application? How long to wait between coats. And what is the best approach to use.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Toby.

Attachments

• island.jpg
    island.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 673
Back