advice on neighbours smoke from chimney issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In this sort of thing data really helps. You can now get laser-based PM2.5 monitors for less than £50. I have this one from Uni-T, available from a variety of places such as Banggood
The amount of particulate per m3 has direct health implications. If you can clearly show that the effect is that the fire outside is producing the equivalent of someone smoking in the room (over 500 mg/m3) then that is a clear call to action.

Brilliant, really useful advice, I will have a look at those options.

Brilliant, really useful advice, I will have a look at those options.

I only have a basic knowledge of Raspberry Pi, but I am aware that you can get a variety of add-on modules including GPS (useful if you want to move it around outside), bluetooth and phone links. You can set up a reporting interface that from your mobile will give you the trend for however long you want, in graph form and showing thresholds.

This can then be private for you, or you can share with the neighbour so they can see what impact they are having.

You can also then set up messaging and alerts that can text you and your neighbour when it goes over whatever threshold you set.

While I am aware that these things are possible, having seen a friend build one of these systems, I haven’t done it myself. I suspect that the people I know who do know these systems would put this together in an afternoon. Starting from scratch would be a couple of days if you got support from either friends or the right forum; if just using books and YouTube instructions it might be a week or two’s work.

Is there any way you can add a duct to the air intake to draw the air from a different part of the yard where there is no smoke?

Those particle counters are also useful in the shop. ;)

Pete

Interesting. The population density of England is above 1000 per square mile even in 'rural' areas. A bonfire - especially on a still day/evening - can create pollution over hundreds of acres. If a person has a large garden - and even if they don't - I'd strongly question the need for bonfires vs. shredding and composting/mulching.
That 1000 per square mile is just rubbish. I don't know where you get it from, but the average population density across the whole of the UK is only 727 per square mile. (275/sq Km). England is higher than that, but still only around 1000 average. Obviously, rural areas are way less than that average, with London being over 12K per square mile.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...tins/annualmidyearpopulationestimates/mid2019

Unfortunately one of lifes problems that‘ll be very hard to solve, chances of the council getting involved to any great degree is unlikely unless you’re very lucky. You’ll more likely be steered towards the legal system and aprivate prosecution which‘ll be a long expensive and uncertain route.
If the neighbour is unwilling to engage , you’ve next to no chance. You’d be better off seeing what can be done to in terms of drawing air from elsewhere as suggested above.

I would suggest that going to the council / police / etc is unlikley to ever resolve anything, and with certainly not in the short term.

Even if it ever does get resolved by those methods, the time taken and the resultant stress from neighbourly conflict will make the smoke seem like a desirable choice.

I would suggest a friendly as absolutely possible meeting, explaining (again in as nice a way as possible) the concern and asking if there could be any plan to alleviate.

We have solid fuel fires here. Somtimes I mess up their fueling and they smoke.

Very very occasionally our neighbour "complains" in a very reasonable way (maybe every couple of years or something) and I do everything I can to resolve the situation.

We are on good terms with our neighbour. In fact, some of what goes on our fire are offcuts from his wood projects!

Back