Advice on my first good set of chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosuchhounds

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been using the powerfix chisel set as recommended by Paul Sellars for a few years and im in the market for a set that will last me a while. Ive heard brilliant things about the Narex Richter range and like the small edge bevel ala Lie Nielsen. Has anyone got any other recommendations of ones to consider? Workshop Heaven own brand? Other Narex ranges?

I've the Lie Nielsen ones and to be honest, I was a bit taken aback by how small they were. I'd have thought for that money they'd have been more akin to a standard size like Stanley or such

I've the Lie Nielsen ones and to be honest, I was a bit taken aback by how small they were. I'd have thought for that money they'd have been more akin to a standard size like Stanley or such
I thought they were Stanley copies.

Anyway, the Ashley Iles bench chisels are nice and keep an edge well.

.........................Ive been using the powerfix chisel set as recommended by Paul Sellars for a few years and im in the market for a set that will last me a while. ........

Paul Sellers thinks that those chisels are les couilles de chien. Have they worn out already?

Paul Sellers thinks that those chisels are les couilles de chien. Have they worn out already?
No not yet but im not a fan of the weight of them. Not that theyre heavey or light just the distribution im not a fan of

I recently got a set of the Narex Richter chisels and so far I am very pleased with them. The backs flattened without too much effort and they hone to a very good edge. They feel comfortable to use in the hand, balance is ok. They are not very thick (compared to my LN socket chisels) so I have a 25 deg bevel and hone to about 27 deg and i have used them for final pairing on joints not the heavier cutting. So far this has worked very well.

I've been very happy with the set of 4 Ashley Iles chisels (1/4", 1/2", 3/4", and 1"). I enjoy using them and I think they they have been good value at ~£120. I've never needed a bigger or smaller chisel than this set provided, but I suppose that does depends on what projects take your interest.

Around £150. It never started that high but it keeps getting budged up! I watched the Katz Moses review of the the Richters and was hugely impressed, as was he

Did he have a revenue link on the video so that he gets a commission if you buy them? They are probably good, but that stuff makes me wary.

Back