Advice on MRMDF please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsb

Established Member
Reaction score
Have just picked up a 8x4 sheet of 22mm mrmdf, which had to be cut in two in order to get it in my van. When I got home, I realised that its slightly bowed. Any ideas how to get it flat. I intend using it for a router table top and some sample shaker doors for my kitchen but if its not flat it will be useless.

You can lean it against a wall until it is flat but it is does not always work. If it is damp that has caused it to bow I afraid you have had it but if it is just the way that the muppets have stored it you may just get lucky.

If I try the leaning against the wall method, do you leave it over night or keep checking it every hour or so.

I'd recommend that you don't lean sheet products against a wall as they will always bow unpredictably unless supported on angled uprights, thus:

Sheetstockrack.jpg

Attempting to unbend them bay unsupported stacking doesn't always work that controllably in my experience. I've found in the past that inserting a bowed sheet into the middle of an existing pack on the floor (on a pallet) will flatten it out over a few days, or that cutting components to approximate size and stacking on a known flat surface such as a level concrete floor (with appropriate damp-proof membrane) and some heavy weights on top, such as a few breeze blocks, works quite well.

Scrit

Yes, any sheet stock. The prooblem I've found witjh trying to un bend it by supporting the other way is that it's difficult to get it just right

Scrit

Thanks Scrit, I've cut some of the board into strips,( for the frame part of the shaker door) and laid them on a flat surface with a weight on them, so I see what happens in a few days

Back