Advice on Metabo bandsaw BAS 317

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markturner

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new on the forums here, i just brought the above saw but am a little dissapointed ( although from what I have read i should not be...)

I am currently just starting to make my own bench and have some lovely 3 inch thick steamed beech for the top. However, the saw wont cut it, the motor just slows and groans when I try to cut. I have tried using a piece of normal 3 x 2 softwood and it struggles with that as well. Am i expecting too much or is there something wrong? My Festool presio 55 table saw and kapex mitre saw eat through it like it was balsa wood.....

Cheers, Mark

Hello Mark, welcome along.
I'm no bandsaw expert but when I first got mine it was fitted with a gen. purpose blade that was pretty useless. Getting a good'un made a lot of difference
But it sounds to me like what you have may be more than cheap blade trouble - maybe over tightening?

I had exactly the same problem with a new Metabo band saw, changed the blade and it worked perfectly. I dont know what they fit as standard, but it seems they are rubbish.

The saw on the other hand works very well. Had it for a couple of years now and continue to be very pleased with it.

Hi Mark
Few bandsaws come well-fettled from the factory and, indeed, many have very mediocre blades. If you search the Forums for bandsaw advice you will see that any people here, including me, rate Tuff Saws for bandsaw blades. Ian John is a member here and is always willing to give good advice about which blade is best for which job on which bandsaw. You can email him on [email protected]. Very helpful chap.

After that, it is a question of setting the machine up properly. It's not difficult, but it doesn't happen on its own, either. You should be able to get that machine singing like a canary.

Cheers
Steve

Well thanks for the advice guys, I went along to the woodwork show in Ally pally yesterday and got myself a couple of new blades from Bevingtons, however, when I tried the bandsaw today , prior to changing them, it would not turn on. The socket is ok , other tools work plugged in to it, so I have dropped the supplier an email, we shall see what transpires.

I must say things have not got off on the right foot with me and the bandsaw.... Will keep you posted

OK< user stupidity,there is a microswitch that cuts the motor if either of the doors are not properly closed....

I have the new blade fitted, tensioned and it all seems pretty ok now, so thanks a lot guys, great advice. I obviously have a lot to learn.. :oops:

Cheers, Mark

Hello Everybody,
Can someone on the forum advice me on the blade tension readout on BAS 317. There is no explanation given in the user manual. Thank you very much

HI Woodmaniac, welcome to the Forum.

Blade tension depends on the width and thickness of the blade. The more steel there is to stretch, the higher the tension needs to be. I go by what sounds right. Yes, I know that's not necessarily a lot of help. But it really does work and it's not hard to learn.
Remember that it's not the width of the wheel that is usually the limiting factor on blade size, it is the ability of the machine to tension the blade.

Steve

I have a 317 and in hindsight I wish I had bought an administer, however I have found Metabo to be responsive with support. My bearing guide was float g about and they sent me some new screws

Back