Advice on managing jobs - software?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trumpetmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a self employed carpenter/joiner. At the moment I have 3 jobs ready to go and 15 at various stages of quoting or planning first visit. Although I'm fairly organised, it sometimes gets a bit overwhelming keeping track of jobs, and I think I need a better system for organising and keeping track of jobs - any suggestions?

Any comments on this system:
http://www.yourtradebase.com/#
?

Hi Trumpetmonkey,

I was recommended a piece of software called Paymo by a friend of mine. I don't use it as yet as I'm not that busy. So I can't comment on it's performance myself, but he uses it all the time. He's a website developer and graphic designer who runs his own business, so different craft but same kind of requirements. It's free, so no harm in giving it a whirl.

Cheers _Dan.

A diary and quote book forms the basis of my "system". Once a quote gets accepted, I print a copy of the quote and keep it in the front of the diary with the other ongoing or scheduled jobs. A simple excel spreadsheet with the job names down the side, and calender dates along the top, allows me to roughly schedule work, and provide an idea to customers on likely timescales. This is also printed and stored in the front of the diary. Jobs don't actually get entered into the diary until firm dates are available.

Keep it simple, and you're more likely to use it.

DeanN":upriz70p said:
Keep it simple, and you're more likely to use it.

from experience I know that is wise advice!

I have a similar system to yours already DeanN.

I'm talking with the wife about her helping with the admin, but could cause tension as not everything can be handed over without my involvement! I may give the software options a try, if so I'll let you know my thoughts

Personally for something that size I'd just use Excel, with a series of columns or rows for the various stages, and track them that way. As said above, the simpler it is the more likely you are to use it well.

Latest posts

Back