Advice on joist support for lean-to structure

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another quick question please everyone:

As I don't have a framing nailer would screws be okay for the joist hangers or should I really be nailing them?

The hangers should either use the specified nails or the screws the manufacturer recommends. They should have them where you buy the hangers. They aren't meant to be used with any old fastener you have handy. Building inspectors look for them and will reject a structure if they are not installed. An engineer would have to sign off on the substitution to get it passed. I used the screws.

Pete

I think you are misunderstanding skew nailing it's simply to knock in a nail at an angle, no need for a power nailer a hammer will do. With one nail each side of the rafter or joist it gives a good locked fix which will not pull apart. If you do use hangers and truss clips as we call them in the UK then do use square twist nails not standard round wire ones.

Rather than relying on the shear value of the bolts into the garage wall, I would chase out and fit masonry hangers pointed into the stretcher course of the brickwork, the roof only needs a four degree slope to effectively shed water to a gutter, firing piece's are only needed if you want a flat underside to the joist.

Back