Advice on joining window sill mitres

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikej460

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've just built a dwarf wall out of stone for our new lean-to greenhouse and will be fixing sills made from 200mm wide 47mm thick treated kiln dried POR, with one long length 4.2m and two short lengths 2.4m and 1m. They will be chamfered and I intend to mitre them then paint with Cuprinol Garden Shades. My question is how best to join the mitres, will external PVA be good enough?

I wouldn't bother gluing them -they will come apart quite quickly.

cut the mitres and then put on a 3-4mm pencil round on the mitre ends.
treat the ends with an end grain sealant -I doubt you have end grain sealant as such, but you could use thinned varnish or thinned cascamite glue, even D4 PVA watered down would work.

Then put on silicone sealant when assembling -keeping it away from the edges

then when you use your garden shades make sure you brush into the V that is formed by the 2 pencil round meeting

Its the recommended method by Teknos, Sikkens and other joinery paint manufacturers.

I wouldn't bother gluing them -they will come apart quite quickly.

cut the mitres and then put on a 3-4mm pencil round on the mitre ends.
treat the ends with an end grain sealant -I doubt you have end grain sealant as such, but you could use thinned varnish or thinned cascamite glue, even D4 PVA watered down would work.

Then put on silicone sealant when assembling -keeping it away from the edges

then when you use your garden shades make sure you brush into the V that is formed by the 2 pencil round meeting

Its the recommended method by Teknos, Sikkens and other joinery paint manufacturers.
Thanks Robin
What end grain sealer do you recommend that doesn't cause problems with bleeding at the edges and won't over-paint. I'm now considering using Bedec Barn Paint.

Thanks Robin
What end grain sealer do you recommend that doesn't cause problems with bleeding at the edges and won't over-paint. I'm now considering using Bedec Barn Paint.

I use Teknos tecknoseal 4000 or Remmers SW-910 but they are awfully expensive for a one off job.

I'd be tempted to sand the ends with coarse abrasive for a key then use the Bedec.

Back