Advice on hardware

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshjosh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I wondered if anyone could suggest an attractive hinge and stay for a drop down door for the cabinet bellow. The door will be 20mm and the cabinet 30mm and needs to be overlay. I know I can get a euro style hinge with a 30mm overlay but wondered if there is anything else a bit prettier? Also whether anyone could recommend an attractive stay? The door will drop down purely for access so the hinges/stays will only have to take the weight of the door.

Thanks
Josh

Attachments

• IMG_20210122_195945~2.jpg
    IMG_20210122_195945~2.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 32
That is a very long door, is it live edged?

you could conceal a piano hinge depending on where the unit is, on the floor you’d not see it.

there are a great many stays available, most seem a bit ugly to me, you can still get the brass quadrants but they may be too small for that weight, chains are a bit of a faff but you could make wooden stays to match the cabinet
Aidan

That is a very long door, is it live edged?

you could conceal a piano hinge depending on where the unit is, on the floor you’d not see it.

there are a great many stays available, most seem a bit ugly to me, you can still get the brass quadrants but they may be too small for that weight, chains are a bit of a faff but you could make wooden stays to match the cabinet
Aidan

Yes I suppose I could use a piano or since butt hinges and notch round the knuckle to hide it. Yes it's a long pull down door with a live edge at the top, it's designed around a nice piece of pippy oak I'll be using for it. It'll have a couple of sliding dovetail battons on the back to keep it as flat at possible.

Timber stays sound like an interesting option, I haven't seen them before do you have any images or info on them?

Cheers Josh

Only a suggestion and probably not what you were thinking, but have you considered having the door as a lift off piece?
Interesting idea, I like the physical connection with furniture so that appeals to be although I may not be able to convince my wife

I’ve not made a wood stay yet, but just like a metal one, but made from wood, adjust proportions to suit, maintain the same aspect ratio and it’ll work just fine
Aidan

Back