advice on finishing workshop walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digizz

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe more for a DIY forum???

You may have seen the pics of my workshop in progress. Well, I'm now about to start insulating it and lining with Ply.

I've got a huge quantity of 3x2 sawn timber in for the studwork and 22 sheets of Brazilian 18mm WBP Ply (hope I've not contributed to another 50 miles of rainforest being cut down :( )

I'm going to fix the studs at 407mm centres but was wondering whether to nail or screw the Ply sheet to the studs? I want to have a smooth finish that will be painted with no fixings showing. The gaps between sheets (if any) will also need filling. Any thoughts?

I also need to work out how to fill/cover the fixings - what's suitable for use on ply - some kind of flexible filler? As there will no doubt be a lot of fixings, it's also got to be fairly quick to apply.

Oh, and there will be a few bits hanging from the walls - an odd cupboard or two.

Ta!

Digizz":3t63p7lm said:
Oh, and there will be a few bits hanging from the walls - an odd cupboard or two.
Chuckle. If you can still see any of your walls in 3 years time I'll be surprised... :lol: Workshop walls aren't there to hold the roof up; they're there to have cupboards, shelves, jigs, appliances, fences, tools, ladders, extension leads, clamps, cramps, reference tables and words of workshop wisdom hung on them! :wink:

Personally I favour screws instead of nails whenever possible, but then I've left them visible in screw cups on my walls. For concealment, nails win. Depends. Do you envisage a need to remove any of the panels at a later stage?

Cheers, Alf

My walls were clad with OSB screwed to battens bolted through the concrete uprights (the main structure of my shop is concrete) the screws were driven flush with the board then any minor gaps were filled with flexible decorators filler and the whole lot given three coats of paint. Any obvious defects were filled between coats but the paint covered most screw heads and minor defects.
The finished surface came out very good as you can see by the photo`s in workshops.

Cordless screwdrivers and a box of screws is the way to go. Get some Torx screws and the appropriate ddriver bit, they are excellent. Leave the nails to carpenters.

John

I hired one of those Makita auto loading screwdrivers for screwing down the T+G floor and roof of the cabin - fantastic nit of kit and very fast - brrr, brrr, brrr ;)

Latest posts

Back