Advice on finishes please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jensmith

Established Member
Reaction score
I have made a miniature / dolls house modern table from a sandwich of mahogany and jelutong to provide an edge contrast. There's also a strip of cherry in the top.

I'm wondering what the best finish would be. Given it's for a dolls house I don't want anything that looks glossy as that won't look right. It just needs to bring out the colour and grain of the wood.

I have some danish oil from when I made the box for my Dad or I also have boiled linseed oil. Would either of those be suitable?

I also have neutral wax but feel it might be best with a couple of coats of something first.

What do you think?

Jennifer,

I reckon either would do. Do you still have any offcuts you could try them out on?
The other option would be shellac (French Polish). It does not have to be shiny, can be quite thin and light in colour, brushes on easily, dries quickly and is cheap!

+ 1 button polish or white polish. easy to use drys quick great base for wax etc. really useful stuff.

Jennifer, if you look up how to make a French Polishing rubber that will give you some idea of what you need. I realise that simply saying a cotton rag is a bit ambiguous. I also use stockinette by itself although it does have a tendency to shed little bits. Keeping it inside a cotton cloth keeps the bits out of the way.

I did see the technique when I googled French polishing. Thanks for the clarification though as I assumed you literally meant a cotton rag :)

Back