Advice on Ebay, PayPal and collection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O/T for the OP, but I was caught out with an Ebay purchase where I bought a shrub and some small plug plants. The shrub arrived, the little plugs never did. Since the seller had proof of delivery and they had described it as one consignment they had proof my order was delivered. Ebay just said we should work it out. The seller has blocked me from buying anything else from them :)
So I try not to add too many things together for one order,

(Rushing to leave for work - sorry if this isn't relevant, dont have time to read the thread fully)

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...fier-sold-eBay-buyer-says-never-received.html
Interesting read - lots of protection doesn't apply if the article is 'collection' only
Yeah, I've gone through the T&C's for Ebay protection, it does state that third party collection of a 'collect only' item is not covered. To be fair, navigating Ebay details and actually contacting them has improved a ton since the last time I tried to get info out of them.

Okay, a quick update, I paid for the item (mentioned in the original post) via PayPal earlier in the week and collected it today.

I was issued a QR code from Ebay and the seller scanned it after I took delivery of the item. Everyone is happy and it works quite well.

For info and neatly connected to the telescope thread, it was an 8" Newtonian scope and a CG-5 advanced GT mount, hence the rationale to collect.

Last edited:
Okay, a quick update, I paid for the item (mentioned in the original post) via PayPal earlier in the week and collected it today.

I was issued a QR code from Ebay and the seller scanned it after I took delivery of the item. Everyone is happy and it works quite well.

For info and neatly connected to the telescope thread, it was an 8" Newtonian scope and a CG-5 advanced GT mount, hence the rationale to collect.
So after all the doom and gloom merchants the seller was genuine :)

So after all the doom and gloom merchants the seller was genuine :)
I've generally had no issue with almost all Ebay sellers (and had no reason to doubt this one), just not used to paying before collection is all which was the crux of the discussion.

But yeah after all the concern they were a pleasure to deal with.

I have nearly 2000 feedback on two accounts selling but mostly buying, in UK, Ireland and Italy. The market in Italy is totally different but I have still had relatively few problems and can't really say I have lost out. I think people overreact to the slightest thing, I have never been scammed and Paypal and eBay have protected me 99.99% of the time, in fact, I have on more than one occasion been refunded and not had to return the item.
Same really, no probs on the whole.
I've had one or two refunds without having to return the item because it wasn't worth the sellers's bother and postage charges, but I think they've stopped doing that. You seem to have to return it and the seller has to pay P&P which is good as it's a disincentive to send out rubbish or badly packed

Back