Advice on Dust Extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

city17

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking to buy a dust collector to go with my Elektra Beckum HC 260 planer thicknesser.

From what I found there are two main types of dust collectors, the ones that are shaped like a small oil drum (e.g. this one) and the ones that have a fabric bag on top and a plastic one on the bottom.

product-image.jpeg

The second type are quite a bit more expensive, so I was wondering what the exact difference is.

Will the oil drum type collectors work well enough with my planer thicknesser? Or are they less capable?

My main goal is to prevent wood chips flying all over the place, less concerned about reducing fine dust as I'm always wearing a face mask with filters when using the planer thicknesser.

With planers and thicknessers you predominantly get chips and shavings, so a chip extractor or High Volume Low Pressure- HVLP extractor (the second type you described) is more beneficial and are more efficient. Look for one in the used market and you can find a good one for a lot less. Plus they are much quieter than the first kind! Sometimes you can get one with a fine dust filter and that can take care of all your large tools like table saw, band saw, etc.

The first kind you described are not that good, hence they are cheap, unless you go for a top quality one (not sure what that entails and whether one exists- perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong)

@bp122 Thanks, I'll stay on the lookout for a second hand model then instead of the cheap new one. I occasionally see them going for about €100 - 150, which should be reasonable for a good one.

Just wondering, the newer ones seem to be more powerful (1000-2000 Watt), while the older ones I often see (DeWalt, Elektra Beckum, Metabo), are maybe only 500 Watt. Will this make a big difference? Or will those older ones also work fine?

Back