Advice on drawer runners needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thick_mike

Wood Shortener
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section, but...

I’m building a drawer in my hall for storing shoes and I’m getting lost in the apparently never-ending complexity of Blum drawer runners. I’m looking to make a double height drawer with a second drawer inside (see example pic below).

The drawer will be 550mm deep and 600mm wide and I’d like it to be push to open and soft close. I’m intending to make it from plywood. Can someone with experience
9ABA73FD-101E-483E-BB43-B2C2FC804DDC.jpeg
help me with what I need to order?

Just looking at the photo and I realise the drawer runners are both the same, just the top one has no decorative front.

Funny how explaining a problem helps you to work things out 😆

I like that double draw design, not seen that before, would be nice for power tools and accessories, tool in the bottom, bits up top, maybe in shadow foam

On a general point, Blum really get lost in detail in their on line literature. They are so keen to tell you the amazing engineering quality and features, they bury the information that you want.

This is what i finally found out after hours of searching...

Tip on = push to open, no handle
Blumotion = soft close
Tandem = under drawer mounting for wooden drawers

it was a real time-waster (great for me as I always procrastinate over projects)

I got confused by the tandem models for different thicknesses of material. One model is for 11-16 mm and another for larger sizes.

It might be that I am just a little slow, but it took me ages to figure this out - and the accompanying technical diagrams that you have to use to work out the drawer sizes and runner offsets.

All that said, once I got the right parts and finally understood the diagrams, the runners are pretty good and I really like the undermount style.

It is worth persevering with the Blum. I've used the Metabox range for probably 20 years. I source mine from Hart Wholesale in Southend-on-sea in Essex. I used to live only a couple of miles away but since moving to Merseyside continue to use them. Even with carriage prices are good and service is excellent.

Colin

I have fitted a lot of Blum drawers. Movento with tip on and soft close. More refined than similar tandem.

Beware:

your drawer making needs to be precise and slides need to be dead level with each other and dead in line at the back. You may find it helpful to use the Blum fitting templates, at least for the hole at the back.

The push to open works well but is SLOW. So if this is a drawer that you are in an out of a lot, soft close is good but tip-on will annoy you.

Drawers that wide will need a sync rod without a doubt. I always fit them as frankly you might as well and it means the drawer can be pushed anywhere to open with tip on.

With tip on you get a lot of finger marks so make sure your surface is suitable.

Thanks for the tips. This is my first venture into these drawer runners, so I’m hoping my skills are up to it :)

I could not agree more about the information from the Blum site, they really push how wonderfull they are but the technical info is hard to drag out. They need a better web presence, a sales pitch area but then have an installers page where the info is just available to allow us to understand what is needed for what runner.

I have used Accuride runners from here Accuride Runners (9301) 182-272kg - Heavy Duty Runners | Accuride but not for cabinets, and they are really robust with high load capacity.

We have exactly that arrangement, using Blum, in our kitchen under an induction hob. They work a treat, even after 10 years.

Thomas Chippendale would laugh himself senseless at that 10 year quote.......
While I daresay you will be in a rocking chair telling your great grandchildren you remembered when drawer runners lasted ten years........

I have had really good help from a company called interfit in Macclesfield. they have a person who is very knowledgeable and prices are much better than ironmongery direct. of course they will post.

The guys who man the Blum technical helplines are very knowledgable and helpful and easy to get hold of, worth calling them if you have any questions. I just used Blum Movento on my kitchen cabinets and very happy with them - not cheap though!

Drawers that wide will need a sync rod without a doubt. I always fit them as frankly you might as well and it means the drawer can be pushed anywhere to open with tip on.
While a sync rod may well be very useful it is hardly essential. I have very recently made and fitted a 835mm x 560mm, it doesn’t have push to open but does have soft close

Latest posts

Back