Advice on chuck insert please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure about the nova chuck but when chucks are supplied with interchangeable back plates if the manufacturer aren't going to siupply them to fit every lathe then they should supply a blank threaded back plate so we can get out local engineering shop to put a thread in them for us.

Spasm

Hi Mike

Sorry, I'm a bit late on this one. If you don't manage to get it sorted a know of a guy (an engineer with woodturning connections so understands our needs!) who would make you an adaptor. I know he has made lots in the past and although I've not had an adaptor from him, he has made me a couple of tool rests which I have been well impressed with.

If you need his details drop me a PM.

Cheers

Richard

Problem resolved.

Bought a Sorby COMpatriot chuck (patriot body only) with a direct thread of 1.1/2" x 6 tpi thread (both left and right handed) at the Yandles show. Takes all my Nova jaws. [Also bought some bigger jaws 3" and 4.1/4"] to enable me to hold bigger items with confidence.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

if it is a 1 1/2 x 6 thread,you won`t get an insert,it`ll have to be an exert,or a new G3 which has this thread tapped directly into the chuck body,regards,

Eric.

woodturnerEric":30ic568n said:
if it is a 1 1/2 x 6 thread,you won`t get an insert,it`ll have to be an exert,or a new G3 which has this thread tapped directly into the chuck body,regards,

Eric.

My new lathe is threaded at 1.1/2" x 6tpi; my old lathe was threaded at 1" x 8tpi. I was trying to find an insert (or excert) to fit the chucks from the old lathe onto the new lathe. Doesn't matter now as I have sold 2 chucks with 1" x 8tpi threads and bought the Sorby directly threaded at 1.1/2" x 6tpi which fits my new lathe directly. I therefore have the advantage of a left and right handed thread (if I want to use the outboard turning facility) and also have the work closer to the headstock with inboard turning. All my old Nova jaws fit the sorby chuck and the Supernova which came with the lathe, so all is now well.

Back