advice on buying new table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trojan62

Established Member
Reaction score
hi,
just thought id ask you guys for a bit of advice on buying my first table saw.
what would you recommend for around the £170 mark.
ive been looking at 2 in particular from screwfix, the ryobi and the erbauer.
i think i like the erbauer a bit better.

any advice would be welcome.

thanks...

Hi

A table saw at that price point will be quite limited in its accuracy and repeatability. However they should work fine, you will just need to factor in time to setup each cut accurately. The blades supplied with the saws will be of limited quality so you can upgrade with a decent blade.

I had a saw at this level for a couple of years and they do the job but moving up to a better saw is a huge benefit, for an extra £66.50 you could have one of these which is a much better saw

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod825722/

hi, mate
thanks for the reply
im limtied to funds im afraid, the axeminster looks an excellent saw, but i wouldnt be able to aford the assecories that go with it, which i would like.
im only a hobby/diyer so hopefully the saws from screwfix might suit me.
what do you think of the charnwood table saw, the cheapest one, it looks quite good.

cheers...

It certainly comes with all the bits. My original comments still apply, the cost is low as the precision of the manufacture is limited. It should work fine but will be very noisy as it is a brushed motor and most better table saws use an induction motor (like the Axminster) which are MUCH quieter.

I do understand budget limitations but my advice - if you can find £230 - is to get the Axminster and make your own base and outfeed tables and upgrade the other bits when you can afford them. You will spend less in the long run.

If you have a few other tools, you can do away with the outfield table, or build your own. Eg, if you are cutting ply, ripping to size with a curcular saw and straight edge may be a better option than buying the extension and having to walk round the thing all the time (DAMHIKT). And the base is nothing special- you could make one or find somebody who has made one and buy it from them.

I am not sure where you are based, but have a look in the for sale threads. You may get lucky.

Bear in mind that if you get into woodworking, and want to upgrade in time, the ryobi/erbouer ones will be worth next to nothing secondhand, the ts200 is quite sought after. Have a look on ebay, and there are a couple at £100 with a few days to go.

I would bide my time and try for one on ebay, thats where I got most of my more pricey machines, have a look at the 'completed listings' and see what they are going for, some the latest include a Sip @ £129, Evolution @ £86, Performance @ £85, Ryobi @ £125, may take a while but could be worth it.

Andy

cutting42":26czi9mb said:
It certainly comes with all the bits. My original comments still apply, the cost is low as the precision of the manufacture is limited. It should work fine but will be very noisy as it is a brushed motor and most better table saws use an induction motor (like the Axminster) which are MUCH quieter.

I do understand budget limitations but my advice - if you can find £30 - is to get the Axminster and make your own base and outfeed tables and upgrade the other bits when you can afford them. You will spend less in the long run.

+1
If you cannot find the extra money for the Axminster, then I would save until I could afford one. The one thing that you do not want to do is buy a brush motor.
You could also keep your eye on ebay, where you will get a much better saw for your money, even the Axminster.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Mike

This is a difficult one.

I've used a few cheap table saws over the years and I've never found one that I didn't come to dislike intensely. Noisy motors, rubbish blades, twisted riving knives, warped tables, lousy dust extraction, inacurate fences, comical guarding...the list of serious shortcomings goes on and on.

But I will concede that I've seen some people produce good, accurate work from these type of machine. So with enough skill and perseverance maybe the obstacles can be overcome. However, as a newcomer you need to accept that you're not going to get great performance straight out of the box with a bottom of the range table saw.

I appreciate that having a big lump in the shed is a satisfying purchase, but I'd suggest maybe more thinking about likely projects and alternative solutions.

For example in my experience economy bandsaws pound for pound do a better job of ripping than economy table saws. Or if you're primarily working with sheet materials then I personally would rather use a good hand power saw with a good portable fence system on a couple of wooden saw horses than use a cheap table saw, especially if I was working alone.

Hi, trojan62

I would wait, the Axminister/Kity saws come up on the for sale/wanted section faily often, and having once had a cheap table saw I fully agree with the others don't do it, it will either put you off woodworking or loose you money when you sell it, or both.

Pete

One of the biggest drawbacks of a cheap saw is the noise they make. I had a Axminster contractors saw and you needed ear defenders just to turn it on.

My Kity 419 in comparison is fairly quiet. Although I have just looked on eBay and one sold on the 19th for over £500, that seems a lot!

Mick

I have had a Roybi before and all in all I would buy one again if I had to do a lot of site work and couldn't afford a better machine.

The fence deflects easy but over come by clamping a piece of wood to the table rared up to the back of the fence which stops it moving. The blades are not the best but in the years I had mine I never changed it but I was using mainly softwood then and which a quick going over with a planer or belt sander it was smooth. The dust extraction is pointless but I was using it mainly outside or in large spaces. I got quite accurate cuts from it but like said I had to clamp something to stop the fence defecting. I also made some nice furniture with it.

Its not as good as say the axi saw and now I have the axi 10" cabinet saw I don't miss it but for patient people its ok for semi fine furniture.

Back